Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishmarket

opinion.. Kabetogama/Namakan vs. Vermilion

16 posts in this topic

Can anyone compare the fishing??? Smallies, walleyes and northerns???? Have fished East Vermilion but not Kab/Nam....thanks for any opinions..

I have talked to some folks that fish Kab/Nam and from what I hear the fishing is pretty similar. I am closer to Vermilion so that is where I head to, but then every year I say I have to give Kam/Nam some time and just can't seem to get to it. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

I love it up there too.

Try it, you'll like it.

grin.gif

I have fished both areas quite a bit. I would say that if you want a great camping or outdoor experience then head for Kab/Nam. The fishing is good and can be down right TV show quality in the spring and into early June, but in the summer months the fish can have lockjaw. Fall fishing can be preety good on any given day.

Vermillion has lots of cabins, houses and resorts. I would say that day for day and over the course of the season the chances are a lot better on Vermillion that the fishing will be on for walleyes and smallmouth.

After fishing both the last few years, Down Deep pretty much summed it up.

Kab and Nam are WAY better for Northerns. Vermilion is better for smallies.

I appreciate the 'hands on experience' input...that stuff is very helpful to me..It seems like you cant go wrong with either.....keep it comin'...thanks.

Perhaps it is just me, but it seems as if the northern fishing has gone downhill since Muskies were in the lake. I don't think it is the muskies themselves but all those musky fishermen fishing where I used to catch northerns. I'm sure they get plenty of northerns in the process. Even if they release them all, it still has to have a negative effect on the ease of catching northerns.

del, it could be that the decline in vegetation from the rusty crayfish is the culprit regarding what looks like lower numbers of pike.

where on the east side are the northerns likely to be in July?? We havent been able to catch them on a regular basis, just 1 here and there while smallie fishing..any suggestions??

I fish the west end and there is about the same vegetation as there has been for years. So I don't think that is it. But I don't really know what it is.

Talking with the DNR and some of the guides it appears the rusty crawfish are starting to have an impact on the vegetation on the west end. From my experience they pretty much destroy the small leaf pondweed, cabbage, that is growing in sand. Less of an impact on other species and where there is a muck bottom. This will probably have a negative affect on the pike in the future.

Historically Vermilion has always had a low population of northerns compared to other similar lakes. Personally I think the west end still has enough weeds to support a fishable population of northerns. On the east end you will still find small fish in the bays that still have weeds, ie Greenwood, Everett, and Stuntz. I catch all my larger northerns next to or in deeper water, probably chasing tulibees.

Steve, what is in the photo in your last post?

yes those rustys are showing up in droves on the west end....i know of one spot that the weed line has changed...and it wasnt because of the weather...it has recedeed....does make it easier to fish...but at what cost....the pike still thrive on the west end...dont know that it has gotten worse because of muskies...i doubt it...we pull nice pike off the rocks many times...about the same out of weeds...and there seeems to be plenty of smaller pike....but yes those craws will make the west end fishing different....even if its just having them on your line all the time ....

On opener we fish the Frazier Bay area and start the season at midnight with some dock fishing. This year everytime the wind blew the line in to where it touched bottom a craw would grab the minnow. I would say we caught 50 of them and it got to be a real pain in the butt. Three or four years ago it was one or two a night In 2005 it was regular, but not one after the other like this year. Those rustys are not just up in the west end and are increasing in population.

so Silver Scale, what is your technique(if I may ask) for fishing deeper water northerns on the east side??? I've always been a shallow water caster using a spinner bait, spoon, or rapala style crankbait...Thanks for any advice.