• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Robo Ducks?

Jimmy from Cottage Grove

Has anyone used robo ducks out in the field? I have one, and it works very well on the water. Yet I have been doing alot of field hunting lately, and I see quiet a few mallards in the area. I can't seem to draw them in though! So I was wondering how I could draw in a few ducks!! I don't want to scare the geese off either. The geese are my main concern, but a few ducks could be a nice bonus to a night in the fieldl!!

they work great in the field, thats all i use with to draw in mallards in the field, no caling needed, when you see geese just quick turn it off and set it down. Jonah

Robo's will suck them in like they don't know what hit them, but the geese will flair at 45-80 yards take the robo down you get geese, keep the robo's up you will slaughter the mallies. It kind of comes down to what you want to shoot more of. We usually play it by ear and end up puttting them up and down several times depending on what is working us more.

we have used the robos in the field and the ducks suck right in but i wouldnt recommend it for geese. .. they seem to be a bit more wary about it and dont wanna come in but we solved that problem by getting a hand-crank robo. . cash money!

Jimmy, I have spent quite a few days in the fields lately hunting mallards and geese. Limits have been fairly easy and common. I would say that your robo would be a fine asset to your field hunting success. My patterns have consisted of three guys hunting in finisher blinds with about 5 dozen full bodied geese in a v pattern. I also like to add about seven geese about twenty yards behind us at the back behind the tip of the v. Along side the blinds we add our two lucky ducks and one robo duck. They work well for geese because we can turn them off and on with the use of a remote. then we add four spinners on the ground along with two dozen full body mallards behind us tappering off to the back seven geese way behind us. This pattern gives the geese a spot to land in front of you and a spot for the ducks to decoy in and land right behind you. All of our mallard shots are the "right in your face" type of shots one is looking for. If you dont have a remote for your duck, by putting them right next to your blind it gives you the ability to turn it off and on. I have yet to have the birds shy away from my pattern and I have been hunting the same ducks in the same field many times now. Give it a shot and good luck!!!

As you can tell, with mallards nothing beats a robo or mojo. I have heard and seen that geese tend to flair in most cases. But my hunting buddies and I have shot plenty of geese with them on too! Not all the geese were just solo's eithers, we've had good size flocks come in too! I'm not saying what to do, I'm just tell my stories! But if your more of a goose hunter I'd turn them off. Here's another thing that we have done also when targeting geese over mallards. We have made little flags (like a goose flag, just half the size) out of gray material and if we would see a flock of mallards we would flop the flags around close to the ground with success! Anyways I guess its all a matter of opinion!!

Thanks guys!! My robo has a remote option for it, it's like fifty bucks. I have a friend that told me not to waste my time buying the remote, because you can't use remote control devices to hunt game in minnesota. I have read the regulations book many times, yet have never seen anything about the use of remote controls. Does anyone know anything about this?

You can't use them because they fall under using the radio/electronic devices for taking game. If you read the actual statute and think about what a remote is, it does fit although its not readily apparent to most who just think about using a radio meaning a hand held two way to talk to guys...

lawdog is correct... don't get caught using a remote on your robo's... It's definitley illegal in Minnesota... You can call your local CO or the DNR for confirmation. I had one that came with the remote when I bought it and I checked with the CO about using it... he told me to make sure I leave the transmitter in my vehicle, the reciever inside the decoy was O.K. as long as there was no transmitter in the vicinity. If it was on my person, or in the shell box, even if I wasn't using it, I could be tagged.

Good Luck!

Ken

I have thought about putting an adapter before the battery and making a wired on/off. This may be a pain but I believe it would be legal and allow you to turn it off or on without getting out of the blind. Just wondering if anyone has done this. Someone probably will and sell it for $30.

I'm not 100% certain, but I think an electrician here in town did something like that. Hardwired his roboduck to a switch so that he could turn it on and off. Not sure though.

Jim,

i did that very thing. works slick as can be and was a very cheap mod.

i put the robo on a stake next to the blind, wrap the wire around the stake and feed it into the finisher blind thru the flag port. can be turned on and off at will. the birds seem to resond better to the on and off action of the wings better than the constant on action. (i think the birds start to become aware of robos and the way they sit and spin without ever moving. wiht turning it on and off it looks more "lifelike")

Thanks guys that was an awesome idea. I hunt about 20 yards from my robo, so it would be hard to run out there and turn it off when I hear geese. I went to menards and picked up all the parts 100ft of wire, a toggle switch, and a few connectors for about 10 bucks. It took about half an hour to assemble, but works great. It actually works from fifty feet away!!

I need new batteries for my lucky Duck. Anybody know of a place on line to order them. Checked their web sit and I can buy everything but a battery. Geese flair, ducks drop!!

batteries plus has 'em as well as the chargers. They cut you a deal if you buy both together--just got a set the other day for 20 bucks. I've heard those batteries are of higher quality than the ones that come with the robo.

SA

I used my robo today on a small pond it was all frozen over when I got there. I broke a twenty foot hole open, threw out three floaters, and my robo. The suckers were just bombing me today!!! Ha ha!! Gotta love those days!!

Do you guys take it down completely when geese are coming in? Or do you just shut it off. I just think it looks pretty unnatural with the bright white wings.

we take it down completely if we can. if it is low to the ground/water you might be able to get away with leaving it up, with the white side of the wings facing down towards the ground.

better off pulling it completely if there are geese around though IMO

We have tried to use those robo ducks in the field and they work awesome on land, just like they do on the water.

Shae1986, remotes on Robo Ducks in the State of Minnesota are illegal. Please read the regulations.

You can hard wire your robo. get some electrical wire that seems long enough to reach from your blind to where you typically put your robo (a little extra to wind around the stake for when your dog or buddy trips over it, so you don't pull everything away from the robo). On one end, have some gator clips attached to the wire, on the other end, have an on and off swithch. pull one conector off you robo battery, attach one gator clip to the post on the battery and one on the wire that was attached to the battery post. Turn on the robo and now you can turn the robo on and off from your blind and it is still considered a hard wired switch and not a reote.