Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jiggin Machine

Little Humor

12 posts in this topic

I heard this from a few boats over while fishing the Rainy River this last weekend. Thought I would pass it on.

"Only in Minnesota can you have 5 deer and 4 fish". I got a chuckle out of it.

Thats funny and sad.

It shows the DNR only cares about quality over quantity when it comes to the precious walleyes...

I dont think the DNR is worried about managing the Walleye Herd like they are the deer herd gorilla.

Well...

5 deer YEARLY limit

4 walleye daily limit

Slight difference.

Post deleted by DEADhead

Actually, the 4 fish limit was selected because that was the lowest creel limit that was acceptable by anglers, however since it wouldn't bring us down to our sustainable harvest level we had to incorporate the 19.5 - 28 inch protected slot.

As for the deer, there definately isn't a shortage up there. I counted at least 50 in the fields from Birchdale to Clementson opening afternoon.

War Eagle!!

Well here in north dakota you can have 5 walleye no slot. and can buy as many deer tags as you want.

how many do you need to eat. Arent we there for the good times not to take home tons of fillet?

I really believe that it truly is the experience and not the amount of fillets you bring home. Same with deerhunting if you dont bring a deer home it was a "bad" trip? I dont think so!

My gripe wouldn't be the tight fish limit, I'm all for it on more lakes, but my idea of DNR "management" is that they just like reporting RECORD numbers and don't care about quality deer or protecting the buck to doe ratio by pushing the season back a couple weeks so it doesn't fall right on the prime rut like Wisconsin or Iowa. I see way too many baskets biting the bullet because they're horny.

Anyway who cares, I thought the original post was funny. Since you can shoot five deer yourself in one day(although we all know its your yearly) and only four walleyes in one day.

Golly gorilla.. Here on this big pond we got it all, lots of fish, and lots of BIG fish too!!!

Quality and Quantity.. A good combination!

fiskyknut

My 2cents

The reason I believe this slot and limit was agreed to is that it simply keeps the fishery the way it always has been-AWESOME. Remember the DNR don't know exactly the total numbers of fish present in the lake, just an educated guess.

And don't forget that the local towns need the fishery to stay GREAT. It brings in alot of buisness. I know if I lived up there (Big hopes) I would have voted for the slot and limit..jut my 2 cents.