Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wannabeinely

Ojibway/Triangle roller portage?

7 posts in this topic

Does anyone know how well the roller portage between Ojibway and Triangle would work for a 14ft/15hp boat? and if there is a horsepower limit on either of those lakes? I'm trying to plan a couple of trips to some of the backcountry campsites around Ely. Thanks for your help. smile.gif

Your rig should be fine on that portage. I wouldn't go much bigger than that. I'd recommend having someone else with you to help get it up the incline and to help put the brakes on when you go back down. I've done it myself, but it can be difficult without help. If you're loaded heavily, you'll want to completely unload at the dock.

It's a great little portage, I'm glad the locals keep it in good shape.

No horsepower restrictions on either lake. One word of caution, just off the portage as you enter Triangle, there's a rock submerged just under the surface. Take it slow around those lakes until you get a good sense of where the nasty spots are.

As one of the "local" that have worked to keep the roller portage in working order, we locals are giving up on trying to keep the portage in working order. This summer some visitors to Triangle thought it would be fun to bring in a couple 17 to 18 foot boats with 100 hrp motors. The rollers that used to "roll" are bent and no longer turn. It took 6 grown adults to get one boat out of Triangle. Soon it will be tough to get a 14ft boat and 15 house motor over. mad.gif

Thats too bad. Only takes a few people to mess things up. My wife and I got married at the Ojibway launch and spent a week afterward on Triangle Lake.

Quote:

...This summer some visitors to Triangle thought it would be fun to bring in a couple 17 to 18 foot boats with 100 hrp motors. The rollers that used to "roll" are bent and no longer turn...

If you see that happening and are able to get the lisc. #'s off of those boats call the Forest Service in Ely and report it. They have a law enforcement officer that will make the proper contacts with those folks.

It's sad how a few can ruin things for the many. Does anyone have any info they'd like to share about backcountry campsites on Triangle? The SNF website says there are 2 on Triangle but the map I looked at on the bwca website only shows 1. Is it (or are they) nice site(s) and how's the fishing on Triangle? Trying to decide if I want to try to spend a few days there next summer. Thanks for your help.

One designated campsite and two other unofficial sites. The designated site has the forest service bivy and a fire grate. Nice sight. One of the other sites is level and big enough for a small group, one tent. Haven't looked at the other one though. Have had good luck with walleyes and caught a few small pike.