Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Swill

Best Post Rut & after gun season stand locations

4 posts in this topic

So the gun season will be wrapping up soon and the rut will slowing down. Any tips as to the best post rut, after gun season stand locations? Or how about early december stand locations?

Just wondering if I should switch it up a little bit....

After the breeding period I would look for any available food source they may frequent. The shorter the travel route for them the better as the bucks will be tired and exhausted from chasing the doe around fvor the last couple weeks. They need to replenish energy from the rut and bulk up for the winter.

doser is correct.Find the food and stay close.They need fat for the winter and after the rut they have none.

Also when colder weather is upon us, I mean real cold like into single digits and lower, deer will need to eat even more, so coming out early is the norm, and often times, late mornings can be better than early as the deer tend to wait until the sun warms up the air a tad before rising form the beds. Also stand locations near heavy bedding cover such as cedar thickets and cattails and between feeding areas can be gold this time of year as well.