• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Scents

livintofish

I have used a attractor scent (tinks,code blue...) a couple times, and didn't notice a real influx of activity that I could attribute to the scent. I tend to think that if it does not smell much like deer in the area it may detract deer also. Just a thought. What are your thoughts on scents and where/when to use them.

Quote:

I have used a attractor scent (tinks,code blue...) a couple times, and didn't notice a real influx of activity that I could attribute to the scent. I tend to think that if it does not smell much like deer in the area it may detract deer also. Just a thought. What are your thoughts on scents and where/when to use them.

I think they can be used with success, but too often they are used improperly. Wrong stuff, wrong timing, etc.

Myself, I don't use the "sex" lures and stick to the curiosity scents.

I've bagged a number of deer while their nose was right up to the wick just like in the pictures...

I have had some sucess with the "sex" scents. I'm no expert with this but it's important to use the scents that go along with is going on in the cycle of things. If the rut is not in full swing those scents might just be something that is different and will not be an attractant but has the opposite effect.

But other scent I really haven't had any luck with. This year I tried an apple scented attractant. I think with those types of things, foods, it is so fake they don't have a positive effect. Especially during firearm season those deer go on high alert and anything uncharacteristic will get picked up by them and avoided.

Through my trials and errors of using different lures and scents, there have only been two brands that have produced results for me: James Valley and Mrs Doe Pee. I use the James Valley in a gel formula and the Mrs Doe Pee in liquid, where the gel excels at scrapes and stand sites and the liquid is what I use for scent trails. Have had bucks come in like they were on a string using this stuff.

But, for the most part, with any scent or lure, the biggest thing you need to overcome is amonia in the liquid or gel. This is where the mass produced scents and or lures get bad results at times. Sitting on shelves for a extended period of time at room temp can wreak havoc with the scent and bleeding the amonia off should be the first thing you do when getting any scent or lure. Opening the bottle for awhile and letting the amonia escape, then adding a bit of salt will cure it. Then put the stuff in a refrig during the season and then in the freezer during the off season. This will help eliminate the amonia process.

Hey Jim, I thinking on using a doe in estrus scent for muzzle loader season, what does the salt do? nuetralizes the amonia? how much salt? just a tish? I've never really used scents before, I have a pop up blind I set up awhile ago on a point where to rivers meet adjacent to a great funnel within a funnel, "the spot on the spot" so to speak. I'm over looking a creek crossing where they funnel through to cross. I get pumped just thinking about it. How would you use scent in this or any at all an just let them funnel through, how about a estrus bleat combined with estrus scent. I have bad habit of over thinking things an blowing it, instead of relaxing an just letting it unfold. Any advise would be very helpful an greatly appreciated. Later Boar

The best trick is to cut the glands off the back legs of a hot doe and freeze them until you want to use them. Then, tie them with a string in a tree upwind of where you expect bucks to bed. Use rubber gloves the whole time. What's more convincing that the real thing?