Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
braves57

Pheasant hunt in deer season...

5 posts in this topic

How safe do you guys think it is to bring the kids pheasant hunting during deer season???

Depending on where you go there are parts of pheasant country that are closed until next Saturday...if it were me I would wait until the season is over or hit a game farm.

Last year I went opening weekend. I was a bit hesitant about it but it turned out to be awesome!!

I was one of the only pheasant hunters out there. I hunted only public land and ran into no problems. I vowed to make it a tradition but I ended up deer hutning again this year.

I say go for it!

I've pheasant hunted a lot during deer season, its actually very good, not much competition from other bird hunters and the pheasants seem to get used to the idea of hunters walking by them - until you come along with your dog!!! smile.gif Surprise!!! By the time you start hunting at 9, most deer hunters have left, just watch for deer drives in progress, and I like to put a red collar on any brown/yellow dog that I have. Also pick areas that have more grass and not so many trees that attract deer and deer hunters.

We actually took a break both saturday and sunday from about 10:30 to 2:30 each day and hunted pheasants. We stayed on a mix of private and WMA's. Made sure there were no deer hunters we would be infringing on. Did not see anybody else Pheasant hunting either day. Orange collars on the dogs, did very well. Way to warm for us to deer hunt in the heat of the day, bucks did not seem to be running does in our area, so roodies were a nice break.