• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

To Basscatcher

waterfowlerjm

Hey, I was thinking about heading towards your area tomorrow. Do you think it is worth it? What part of the lake do I hunt? I looked on google earth, it looks like there are a few nice points. Any advice would be appreciated

The lake has opened back up again and this morning I saw around 150 geese on the lake. The land and points on the north side of the lake is private farmland. We always call and get permission, but some people don't bother. One of the land owners on the north/middle side of the lake leases his land out, so I wouldn't try to hunt the point in the northcentral part. There is a small island on the east lobe of the lake that can be good to hunt for just about anything. It's all rocks so be cautious if you hunt it. Plus, there is a sunken island of sorts between the small island and the big point on the east shoreline. The sunken island is all rocks and each year someone bangs their lower unit on it (including this year). On the west side of the lake there is a larger, long island. This can be a good place to hunt too. The geese this morning were sitting nearly in shooting range at the south end of that island. The round island on the west end is not worth hunting except for opening weekend for woodies.

The wind tomorrow looks to be from the west/southwest. If I were you, I'd try either the point on the northeast side of the lake, the small island at the middle of the eastern side of the lake or one of the two islands towards the central/western side of the lake (not the round one on the far west side of the lake).

There are public launches on both the southwest and east side of the lake.

If I had the time and wasn't all prepared for deer hunting this weekend, I'd take you out. But I'm all set for deer hunting and my season is pretty well over unless I get lucky and find some extra time.

Good luck if you go. I haven't been looking too hard, so I'm not sure what's around for ducks right now, but usually there are a few mallards flying around along with a few divers. The warm weather has pretty well put a halt to the migration for now I think.

One other side note....the water level on the lake is down a little this year. Many if not all of the points and islands have scattered rocks off of them, some only a foot or so under the water. If you've got a boat with a motor on it, I'd suggest slowing down to trolling speed at least 75yds from shore, maybe even 100yds. Don't cruise wide open right into or along side the shore, you'll regret it.