Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GRAND DAD

OT ICE FISHING

10 posts in this topic

All right trying to come up with a game plan for this year.Am looking at putting my big house out there.I was wondering if I could get a litte info.What's the night bite there like?I have been studing my map at home and all I can say is holy crap there are like 30 spots I want to try.Where can I get a GPS map for the lake I tried the place on this site and It said that it isn't takeing any orders.Dose any one plow road's out there?If not I bought a nice plow truck to get to where ever I won't to go but I have never plowed on the ice before let alone on a road so if any on has any helpfull hints on that would be great.And last do I just look for the classic walleye spot's and are some certant ones better then others.Ps Is there any crappies to be had out there.

bump

I don't fish OT, so I can't help you on finding spots for Walleyes. I don't think you'll find hardly anyone who will give their spots up either. Your best bet is to follow your strategy of locating preferable holding spots for walleyes on the maps, and then test them out by trial and error.

The GPS maps for sale on this site are probably on hold for now, due to the fact that Lakemaster is in the process of bringing their updated maps to market as we speak.

I don't know about plowed roads on OT.

Crappies are not prevalent on OT. If you are looking for crappies you are better off going to one of the hundred of other lakes in the area.

Hopefully this will help.

Cool thank you but am not looking for any spot's am just wondering if there are any depth's sharp breaks or flat's of what ever I spend a lot of night's out on the ice so if the night bite is nonexsiting then I will go to plan B

Sorry I have been slow on responding, GRAND DAD - been deer hunting and making sausage.

A GPS mapping system on Ottertail is a great thing to have. I personally have Ottertail in 3 foot contours on Lakemaster. I love it.

30 spots is a good start. There are literally hundreds of good spots. Some will get hit hard, and some see little or no action. Most people will be tight lipped about their favorites. Don't be afraid to scout your own way. The folks at Ken's bait will steer you towards some good spots when the time comes. I tried some new spots last winter that were excellent, but had no people on them when I was there.

Roads seem to be plowed on an informal basis. Last year, the Greystone access had a volunter paybox for keeping the access in good shape. There is good structure not too far off shore in this area.

With that huge house you built, I would be very careful of getting it off the ice if you get wind of any substantial snowfalls coming. It would be hard to get that off should a storm drop a foot of snow. A shack that big will have slush around it for sure.

Crappies - they are in there. I have never caught one, however. Never tried for them either. There are much better panfish lakes in the area.

Gissert I new I could count on you.I never thought about the slash factor.As soon as I have it all done am going to bring it up to work and way it I work for a trucking company so we have a huge scale am hoping for 3000lb Like I said I do have a plow truck so I think it would be smart to get some chains for it If you ever need a road plowed or anything don't be afraid to ask I pretty much live up there in the winter witch is way I wanted such a big fishhouse.Well if you are making sausage that means you got one I got one on opening morning but I hunt up in the Grand marais was going to go back this week end but am on the home stretch on the fish house.

I'll second what Gissert said....Unless you are going to be out there every couple days to monitor new snowfalls, drifting around the house, slush,access conditions etc....I wouldn't even consider putting a house of that size on OT..The road plowing is informal at best. Even with a plow truck the access areas alone would threaten to destroy your house. I had a permanent house on OT once...After it freezing in about a foot above the floor due to heavy drifting and flooding I stick with portable houses out there...There is virtually no night bite on OT in the winter either...Sorry to seem so negative but from what I have experienced and seen others experience, you are asking for trouble with a monster like that out there..

I'll echo what Jerky says regarding the night bite. You'll get a few, but it reminds me of LOW at night. That nice light at Greystone beckons me about 6-6:30. Mmmmm, beeerrrr.

Last year we got 10-12 inches just after xmas. It messed up that lake for big houses for a good while after that. I went out the next day, and all the big shacks were getting pulled off. So bad was the slush that wheelers were impossible the next weekend. ChuckN spent the better parts of an afternoon pulling me out time after time. It was sled city from that point until mid February.

If you have a plow truck, that will help for sure. Just keep moving that drift away from your house, and block it high.

The big village on West Battle may be a better bet for your perm shack. Walleyes and crappies can be had there. I am talking about the annual village that pops up just off the Shoreline restaraunt.

Yes I remember last year I had the same problems and I was only dealing with a 8x14 that was hell.I did see the writhing on the wall and pulled my to shore before we got the snow and blocked it way up but it wasn't high anuff and my 4 wheeler wasn't going any were in that slush that was some deep slush I can't image dealing with this monster in that crap that's why If am not out there it will come of the lake as soon as we have driveable ice all take like a month of work well not really take off work I can work from my fishhouse so I will away's be around the fish house but I think I will listen to you guy's about OT am sure I will go over there but that won't be base camp I guess I will stay on my little old lake.PS Pray for a better ice year

GrandDad,

OT is not as scary as these people are making it out to be. I have put my 7 x 14 almost right in the middle for a few years and it depends on the winter but as long as you don't wait till the last minute and you don't neglect your house, you will be fine. Yes it can be mess but so can any other lakes if you let them. I have lived on OT for 8 years and it is impossible to say that one spot is better than the next. My general rule of thumb is to start shallow in dec 16-20 fow and come mid to late Jan I am usauly in 30-40 fow. I am usauly fishing close to real deep water. I like to look for inside turns and general humps. A spot with perch durring the day will usauly mean that the walleyes will come in at dusk. any more questions, let me know, I will keep an eye on this thread.

John