Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zaraspooks

Deer Report

15 posts in this topic

Just wondering how everyone did this weekend. Our party of 5 went 0 for 5. Only saw 5 deer between us but couldn't get a got shot at any of them. Actually, I heard very few shots compared to years past. Also saw very few deer on vehicles during our ride home. Only live deer I saw this weekend were 3 does feeding on one of the greens at the golf course right along the road as we drove by.

Don't feel bad, our party went 0 for 7.

Same scenario, very few deer seen, dead or alive.

Hunted in, and around the State Park.

I did see 4 on Monday a.m., but they were so small, I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger.

Jumped a real nice buck Sat., but had no shot.

Way too warm, deer were not moving much at all.

Have done pretty well over last 10 years, so can't complain.

Oh well... maybe next year.

I heard tonight that a 20+ point buck was taken near Jacks Shack. Can anyone confirm??

We had a group of 4 about 10 miles north of McGregor on some private land. We got two does and one forkey. We saw allot of small does. I even had one lay down in front of my stand and stay there for 2 hours. That was really neat to see. We will be heading up next weekend to give it another try.

1 for 5 on private land near Portage Lake...a button buck.

Saw only 3. The best was on Hwy 18 between Geise and Finlayson, a hunter was in his stand 100 yds off the hwy and across the road were 6 does standing in a field. Even if he saw then, he couldn't shoot because of the hwy. Didn't see too many coming back on Sunday unless the drivers were covering them up real good.

I hunted private land about 10 miles north of Aitkin. Our party of two ended up with a forky and a doe, both shot by my dad at about 8:15 opening morning. I saw five deer that evening, a doe and two fawns, a lone fawn, and one big deer that I only saw the back half of. I passed on all of them since we already had two deer hanging. It turns out that Saturday was probably the only day I'll get to hunt this year. My pregnant wife and I got to take a 2 AM ambulance ride to the cities on Sunday morning. She went into pre-term labor, but everything is looking good now. We'll be staying down in the cities on the weekends from now on. frown.gif

Hey Hollywood,

Shoot me an E-mail

Just interested if we are real close.

scott (dot) norman (at) rrd (dot) com

I hunted nw of Aitkin, and s of Emily since opening day just got back early this am. Not a banner year yet by my standards. Seen a total of maybe 15-20 deer total while in the field. All but 2 were small does and fawns. Bagged a smaller racked 8 pt. and a mature doe. Both were harvested on public land adjancent to private that I had permission to hunt. Talked with other hunting parties in the general area with limited success also. The warm weather I think really had a bad effect on the deer movement.

Hunted 10 miles north of Aitkin opening weekend. 3 guys, 2 days, no deer. We didn't even see on during legal hunting hours. Had the wolves howling around 6:20 saturday morning were I was at.

My buddy and I hunted our 40 North of right for the first time this year. We saw 6 does between us and my buddy tagged a big doe. I'm headed back up this weekend and hope to find a nice buck. Not much for rubs and scrapes in my area.

Somebody must have shot all the bucks in the area, there aren't any scrapes.....The rut hasn't started yet.

All the neighbors have been having a hard season as well. One 12 man crew that spends almost the entire season up there only have 2 forks and nubber on the pole. After talking to them I lowered my standards and decided to take the first good shot I could. I ended up taking doe on Saturday night after about 10 hours on stand that day. I still haven't seen diddly for buck sign. It's been kind of an odd year.

Most of our party couldn't make it back up this weekend but one guy did. He made it to the woods about 3:00 on Friday and got himself a spike about 3:25 (from my stand of course). He was back home with his family in Ramsey that evening by 8:30. We have 2 guys heading back for the last weekend. I'll be on Mille Lacs for a last shot at walleyes on open water.

Lots more activity this weekend north of McGregor. We never saw a scrape or rub on opener but this Sunday afternoon we found quite a lot of new activity.

I know many groups that hunt from Palisade to Hay Lake and it ain't been good. We're somewhere in the middle of that and are going up again tonight. The snow we got Sunday night looked good from the stand Monday morning and I gotta think, with the temps, there might be enough left in the woods to help see where they are moving. I upgraded my firearms deer license last week to All Season so I can muzzleload with better conditions. We shall see.