Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MIKE IN lINO III

Ice on the lakes

16 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of bringing my Dad up for a duck hunt. How are the ice conditions?

We are on a 350 acre lake and it seemed to freeze up fast last year. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Mike - we had ice on the small ponds but it seems to have left us for now. I start seeing that hard water and get crazy- start seeing ice hole ,jiggin poles & walleye every time i close my eyes. Could it be an addiction or maybe something worse? Good luck hunting

Mike -Alittle more info-Some lakes still have ice on the edges. Sposed to get near 50 degrees today.

You should be good for this weekend, I have seen lakes smaller than that still open this weekend. Although I have seen a lot bigger ones froze, with the weather we are haveing I doubt the ice will stay.

Check out the rivers in the area with wild rice...... wink.gif

Thanks guys,

My lake is surrounded by rice and there is a nice river that flows into it, unfortunitely I am not comfortable taking my 14' boat the distance to the river.

We're both looking forward to the hunt, we hunted opener and we saw lots of ducks, even shot a few. It's nice to get my Dad back out hunting, he's starting to get up there in age. We built a duck blind and put it on the shoreline so it is comfortable for him.

Mike

On my way to work today, I didn't see any ice on the ponds and lakes that had ice on sunday.

small lakes iced up last night, got cold friday night, and the wind dyed. lots of geese and some mallards around.

Went down to the lake Friday night and it was all open. Went down Saturday morning and it had a thin layer of ice, no big deal. I break ice and throw some dekes out. I thought I went to the edge of the ice but when the sun came up I saw that the ice continued another 100 ft past my dekes.

I saw one flock of geese, 1 small flock of Buffleheads and a few loner ducks.

Pulled my now frozen decoys out of the lake and went to work in the woods clearing brush. Not the out come I was looking for but fun none the less.

Mike

How are those small lakes looking? cool.gif

Big island is frozen solid. I walked out about ten feet and got nervouse, heard some cracking, so I turned arouned. It is suppossed to get real cold so maybe by next weekend it will be walkable.

big island dude, we have a place by spring lake, and i use to fish little ranier until it froze out. can you tell me anything about it now?

I have never fished it. I have seen poeple out on it, in boats and ice houses. I Have never heard anything about it either. sorry. Now Im gonna have to give it a try tongue.gif

I didn't fish it last winter but the year before I did. Fished it early in the season and got a few crappies but nothing great. I hear of a northern now and then but overall not much from the people I know that fish there. I didn't hear that it froze out lately. When was the freeze out? Glenn, maybe run into you on Bow this winter!!

merc, little ranier froze out bock in the mid 80,s i believe. speared it back then, good fishin. got some nice sunfish too. hope to see you on the bow, plan on going there new years weekend. gotta go gettin raedy to go up harpooning.

Rumor has it there is 4 to5 inches of ice on pokie. 8 below last nite should have put on alittle more. Has anybody been fishin yet? don't need complete details as i know how tight lipped fisherman can be. Would like to hear about water clarity and ice conditions on other ponds & if people are catchin anything. Good Luck and stay safe.