Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wall_guy_101

Male Walleyes?

10 posts in this topic

Does anyone know approximately how big a male walleye can get??....length and weight

The biggest one that I have ever caught was 27". the only reason I new it was a male, I caught it in the spring and it was milking.

I got a big fat 22" male last week which I assumed was a female until I cleaned it. That's the biggest boy I can recall in recent memory but I don't exactly keep notes on that stuff!

I have caught a few males in the 24-27" range. Like posted above I thought female til they milked on my carpet.

I've seen them in the 22-23" range.

41 inches long and many pounds....a guy found one dead up at Mille Lacs....and in the walleyes wallet was his ID proving his gender!

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Well I sure hope I am not making this up, but it seems to me that I once saw a picture of a 14. something pound male walleye. If this wasn't a dream, I think the pic was taken by Montana's fisheries while doing some netting on Fort Peck. I think the picture was in the Minot, ND scheels store, and I think it was about 4-5 years ago.

I am actually positive I saw the picture, I am a little foggy on some of the details, however I'm pretty sure it was from Montana.....now I'm curious.

I caught an eye a few winters ago that was 28" and only wieghted 6.2lbs. Would think a female at that time of the year would be a little heavier than that. We thought it might be a male but who knows.

If they were "milking" then they had to be female and mammalian not fish grin.gif. Male walleye "milt"! The largest I've ever seen was around 24 inches and 24 years old. A lot of people think that large walleye are males because when they clean them they have a lot of fat that is mistaken for milt.