• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Deer Hunting 2007

Captain B.R.K

First weekend is done and how did you all do?

I went out with my the in-laws to the piece of property we hunt near Eden Valley opening day. I climbed into the stand with bow in hand and the others had guns.

8:00am came around and my father in law got a real nice 10 point buck- beautiful deer. That was it for our group of 3.

Got out to the stand after lunch and as we were walking in, we kicked up a deer mad.gif and the party hunting next to our piece of land shot twice and we thought they got the deer. That group spent the entire night hollerin' and screamin' through a big slough trying to find the deer. I know we didn't see anything because of their commotion...frustrating really!

The 10 point buck made up for the evening hunt!

How did you do?!?!

I hunted near Rice. Our group got 4 deer which is about average and all we want. I was happy. But, how can you not be happy while hunting.

I went near Babbit for the opener. First time in the big north woods. Saw only two white tails flicking in the brush on Sunday after the sun came out. No shots fired.

Friday night at 1:30am I had to go outside the cabin for awhile and as I was gazing at the bright moonlight I got to hear a wolf howl. Then three more joined in for a wolf chorus. One wolf was not too far away. Very neat to hear. If I was a deer I would have left the neighborhood. I'm glad I had a cabin to walk back into. Maybe that's why our group didn't see anything on Saturday.

Good Luck this coming weekend.

My son and I went out near FF and he got his 1st deer, : laugh.gif a young buck, that was after he missed a much large buck. Later in the afernoon I got a 7pt. Seen only 2 on Sat am, and about 8 in the pm.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

We were up near Sandstone. Went 3 for 6 for the weekend with 2 bucks and a doe. I'll be heading that direction again on Friday night.

Good Luck!

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

8 deer for 12 for us. We hunted on my land near Pine river. 5 bucks and 3 does one real nice 9 pointer. 5 of us are hunting my brothers land along the sauk river this weekend. It should be fun I really enjoy slug hunting. Makeing deer drives is always a blast.

Sounds like people are seeing deer. Outdoor News was just delievered today 125,000 whitetails registered this past weekend! Not sure if that is good or bad?!? Depends how the rest of the year goes.

The heat didn't help this week.Temps are suppose to be cooler again starting tonight- through the next several weeks so hopefully that will get the rut going and get more deer moving.

Good Luck this weekend guys

Borch- whereabouts near Sandstone do you hunt? i'm just a titch south of town on the west side of 35...

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I'm actually south of Rutledge about 2 mile on the west side of the freeway. We set up camp in the Banning state park.

Haven't hunted 2007 yet but looking forward to it. wink.gif We have a group of 7 and hunt the Wadena - Cass County line just a couple miles north of Oylen, MN. We ended up with 9. Two fawns, four does, and three bucks. Bucks we a 5 point, 6 point and 9 point. Saw plenty of deer Saturday morning alone between the 7 of us we saw 23 deer. Sunday evening when I took the 9 point there were 14 deer (two of them spikes) that were in the field just before he stepped out and another 4 that passed through the field behind me. Nine pointer was in the 230 pound dressed range with 19" inside spread. Registered him at the Motley BP sation on our way home Sun. night and was told he was by far the biggest registered there to that point. Hunting party is already looking forward to 2007.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.