• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rainy Lake Fishing Reports by Capt John

Herb came up from Wisconsin to share it with me.

We caught some crappie out of the school in the morning but weren't keeping any and decided to quit as they were too deep to release successfully.

Herb2010-10.jpg

Herb2010-10.jpg

What a sweet day to be fishin! Almost perfect but did git one bottom feeder. Rest good fish! Biggest bass:

4lb 15 oz

4lb 13 oz

4lb 7 oz

4lb 3oz.

Rainy2010-10-10.jpg

Rainy2010-10-10.jpg

Couldn't catch many good fish today so had to settle for bottom feeders and slimers. Biggest:

walleye 28",

pike 39",

bass 18-1/2"

Rainy2010-10-11.jpg

Rainy2010-10-11.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Had a blast today. 46 fish about half bass rest walleyes. Average size was way better than my last trip. Only one walleye was an eater, all the rest slot fish mostly 22-24 inches. Biggest bass:

4lb 10 oz

4lb 5 oz

4lb 4 oz

4lb 2 oz

Plastics on 1/4 oz jigs. Fish were shallow in morning and about 20 feet deep in afternoon.

Rainy2010-10-19.jpg

...wearing this season.

t-shirt

unionsuit

jeans

flannel shirt

sweater

Ice Armour tops & bottoms

life jacket

socks

ice fishing boots

Frog Toggs top (couldn't fit on the bottoms!)

3XL heavy vinyl rainsuit tops & bottoms

stocking hat

baseball hat

all three hoods from above

ice fishing gloves

stay warm and dry my friend

Rainy2010-10-24.jpg

there was some ice along shore Friday at the boat landing (21 degrees air temp). But water is still mid-40s so should be able to launch boat for a little while yet. We fished from 11 a.m. till dark and got 39, couple pike, rest half walleye and bass.

Tough guy Paul shows off some more of the latest Rainy Lake fashions. Water temps today mid-40s.

Rainy2010-10-30.jpg

All my family is down in Texas so I am packing it up for this year and heading fer Austin. Fish still biting. Got 26 in eight hours today. First fish was the biggest - 39" pike.

Rainy2010-11-1.jpg

Enjoyed the pics John. Enjoy your winter retreat as I am haeding to NM next week for winter work so my fishing is at a end as well.

John,

Sorry I missed you before you left for TX. Today was perfect! Blue sky, 59*, water temp was 46*, calm. The smalljaws were in 20 FOW and were snapping up Paul's paddletail. The eyes were mixed in with the best at 28 1/2. See you in May.

Regards,

Wayne

• 5 months later...

Ice went off a few days ago but I hid in house till snow and wind let up. Today was sweet. Windy when I started but it died down and sun came out. Water 38 degrees in Sand Bay and North Arm.

Started at noon and got 41 bass in 7-1/2 hours. Biggest 5 lb. 4 oz. Most of them 16-18" but enuf big ones to keep you on yer toes. It sure is good to be back.

Rainy2011-5-2.jpg

Slower bite today but what nice weather. Hardly had to wear ice fishing suit.

We got 24 in about five hours. All good fish, no slimers or bottom feeders.

Water temp 39 in North Arm, back bays 50.

Rainy2011-5-3.jpg

I had 50 smallmouths by 1:00 p.m. today. Weather was perfect.

No wind, no clouds and fish biting. Only reason I quit was my battery on big motor died.

On a day like this I would have stayed till dark if motor was working.

Water was 40 degrees in North Arm but a little warmer in Sand Bay.

Rainy2011-5-6.jpg

... one of the better ailments to catch.

Four trips this week = 178 bass.

Today started off sloooow. Caught three back to back on a spoon and thought I was going to clean house. But it was hunt and peck for six hours. Then I moved to west side of lake and water was four degrees warmer. I got another bass on a spoon first cast. Thought I have found them now.

Set the trolling motor to hover, and proceeded to catch zip the next 20 casts. I did notice a mark on bottm right under boat. Dropped the jig down and nailed a 3-pounder. Proceeded to catch 15 in short order. They would NOT hit on a cast. You had to have the jig hanging straight down a foot off bottom. Doubled my take in an hour an a half from 5-6:30 p.m. They finally quit so I headed in. Biggest today 4lb 11 oz.

Rainy2011-5-7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Fished Monday, Tuesday and today this week. Bite has slowed down and size of bass not as good. Today we did land 58 fish, about 45 bass rest pike and one walleyes. All on crankbaits or soft plastics.

Rainy2011-5-19.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Fishing very slow today. Couldn't find any bait or fish. Just a couple before the weather chased us in.

Mike gets one without any minnows.

Rainy2011-5-28.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Fishing is still tough for me. Beautiful day today but had a hard time catch fish. Got a few pike, bass and walleyes but had to work for em.

Rainy2011-6-9.jpg

Been getting several nice walleyes in shallow water chasing bass (not many bass!), bright sun, NO wind. Also got some one windy day in shallow water. All on jigs with soft platic trailers. Majority of walleyes 24"-25". Only two eaters in a week so if you want shore lunch, probably need to go deep.

Rainy2011-6-16.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

We fished hard Tuesday but only got a few dinks. Last fish of the day was a decent bottom feeder. I talked to guys who kept fish today. All their keepers were stuffed with mayflies. Six guys, 24 walleyes so slow even with live bait and a guide Rainy2011-7-5.jpg .

When the fishing is tough do you find yourself fishing just as much as when your having great success? Just remember a tough day isn't all bad, it just reminds us of better days.

Chet

Mike told he is never going to buy another minnow. Most of the $20 worth he bought this week ended up dead after one day. He now knows you don't need live bait to catch fish on Rainy.

Day started out windy with light rain. We caught a few here and there. Then the wind dropped and we caught a few more. Finally we got perfect walleye conditions of bright sun and NO wind, and we caught some more including the biggest of the day. Fish were pretty fussy all day as we normally got but one nice fish in each spot even though we might mark several. The double was fun, even if it only happened once today.

Rainy2011-7-9.jpg

... than to land a 29er in the morning. First fish of the day 29 inches. Not catching many off any one spot but usually get a bite or two off each good spot.

Rainy2011-7-12.jpg