Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sutty

Cleaning hair out of deer

11 posts in this topic

One of the deer we have to process tonight has a lot of hair in the cavity. I was thinking of spraying it out with a gas powered presure washer good idea? any other suggestions?

Thanks

If the cavity is dry just use a little propane hand torch and singe the hair. If it is not dry just a hose, water and some scrubbing should do.

I wouldn't use a preasure washer

I wouldn't use a pressure washer either. The above tips are both good...

I too would not use the pressure washer.

Pressure washer -definately not.

A washcloth soaked in white vinegar works well.

Burn first with the torch then wash.

we always use a torch to burn the hair off the deer

Why do you need to clean the hair out of the cavity?

Take out the tenderloins, hang up the deer and cut up as normal. Any hair from the inside of the cavity won't be on the meat you bone off, and if there is just wash the muscle group in the sink.

doesnt the burnt hair affect the meat??

I worked in a slaughter house and also process our own deer and we use a propane torch to burn the hair off. A little zap and it is gone. Been doing it for about 15 years now. It does NOT effect the meat!

IMO, the best way to keep hair out of the meat when processing is careful skinning. More help is better, and the biggest culprit I see is frantic/fast skinning where a guy grabs a fistfull of fur, and it gets into the air and on the quarters. Have one guy do nothing but pull straight down on the hide and never let his hands off. Make your cuts around the legs so it comes off like a dirty shirt.

Another way to keep hair of the meat is to skin with a vehicle. It all comes off at once, and not much hair, if any is transferred.

Perhaps the biggest no-no we learn every year, is avoid multiple people skinning multiple deer in the same space. That's a recipe for many white hairs on the quarters.

Joel