Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Esox66

Water Clarity

24 posts in this topic

Just wondering if anyone has an update on the water clarity of LOW. Someone told me the lake is getting cloudy again similiar to last year before freeze up. Is there any truth to this? Also, I am new to this forum and want to say thanks to everyone for providing the helpful information.

Dont get drawn in with the worry warts esox. What happened

last year was one of those "once in a lifetime" deals. That

grey milky crap that came up thru the holes was new to even

the oldest fishers on the lake.

Those big blows can cause many problems,

the most common being rough ice. I have my fingers crossed

for a nice calm freeze up but even with some wind there

isnt any reason to expect conditions like last year.

And, by the way, Welcome to FM

Thanks for the input Curt. I Have 2 trips set up over new years and in March. I'll keep my fingers crossed too for a calm freeze up.

What did cause the water to be gray last year?

The "Perfect Storm". As one guide put it, "Wind was blowing 40 mph from 3 different directions for a week straight and then the next day, it iced up."

Seems like everyone had a different theory but what I saw was large sheets of 4" thick ice that were getting driven down into the mud & sand by 6-8' rollers & scopping the stuff up. That material froze into the ice & made people think that the water was muddy all winter when they drilled it.

Holes I drilled in the morning looked muddy from the material in the ice but were clear by evening. Also toasted my auger blades.

Funny thing was the blow occurred in early Dec. and we caught very well right up to Jan.1 over Pine Island so it is hard to blame the slow bite on the cloudy water. I think some areas west had other conditions.

The only place I caught consistently was the evening bite in the ice riff about a 1/2 mile out in 12-15'. The problem was the slush & slabs of ice from the blow were stacked under the surface ice as much as 6' deep at times and moved around with the current so the place you got through today may be stacked up tomorrow.

We still had goods days here & there but hard to put 2 or 3 together anywhere.

My observations are in no way scientific data but what I saw in 50-some days of fishing the lake last year.

I hear that this hasn't happened before & hope that it doesn't happen again!

Well that theory is a darn good one. That Limnologist 'Widetrack' had a great post last year in respect to why the muck stayed in suspension as long as it did. Just like every year on the big pond we have to keep our fingers crossed and hope the BIG northerly winds don't show up when the ice is trying to thicken up.

Last year was an odd one and we had to do things a bit differently for sure. Shallow water with current was the rule. Early and late action was good for the most part, and some days saw very fast and furious fishing well before lite and/or after dark too. My best fish of the entire winter came from 10fow in current at 1 in the morning.

Another winter season on the pond....Just what will this year bring? The fishing this summer was probably the best I've ever expierienced in all my 44 years myself, especially for them BIG fish. I know others who'd attest to this as well eh!!! So I'm super optomistic that this winter will see fantastic fishing.

fiskyknut

Thanks for the theories guys.

Furthermore, and in continuance...

You calling me names again???

grin.gif

Man Oh Man you gots a memory like an Elephant!!! No more Pine boughs or Red X's on the ice for me after last years fiascoe's!!!!

Got that new Ranger snuggled down for the winter or you still pulling Jakes and Grandmas?

Been out to the Rainy at all this fall?

And how did that funny 'portable' shack of yours work out anyhow? I'd like to see one sometime.

Norm

The Angle is pretty well iced up... Boat is a muddy mess sitting in my driveway.... Suppose I better put it away soon. Haven't been to the rainy...

I'll have to post a picture of the widetrack shacks current location sometime... It's up on ash tree posts in the NW angle... Been shooting quite a few deer out of it... It will be there through muzzle loader season, then back to ice fishin... It's awesome!

Something else WT... Have you ever done any winter fishin in or around that deep spot with steep break on it's W side located off of a Canadian point with same prefix as the Angle? I have wanted to give that area a winter jig for a few years now.

Kicker boat is ready still for the Rainy iffin you want to some time yet this fall?

NW point of big island?... I dont get there often, but yes I've had success in the area...

PS: I'll keep the fishing offer in mind... thanks... I'm pretty well locked into hunting mode right now... I've been told I have a one track mind before... grin.gif

Uh maybe, I was just doing that code-talker thing again eh! I'm stone cold sober and did'nt want to spill a bean!

Stone cold sober? You better hurry up. You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

Well you can if you start the nite before, twas buck nite like every Monday nite at the local eagles ya know!

Missed it though or I may have gone MIA like you did during the prefish Wigwam tourney trip!!!

I'll leave that one alone.......

LOL! You did have us a bit worried....But you're all grown up!

Todd you could play hookey one day and come on up for some end of the season jiggin too maybe? I'm bummed as I was kinda blown off on Sunday and missed it.

I have hunting on the brain so I doubt I will make it up there.

Hey ripper haven't talked to you in a while did you ever get that deer i got a pretty nice one on sunday. give me a call man.

Widetrack how much ice is in the Angle now. I have our first trip Dec 18th and am hoping for good ice by than. Thanks

It's just starting to tighten up. Hunters were breaking ice last weekend to get out. You should be fine by the 18th.

Hey Dave maybe shed some light on the Canada forum as it looks like that JZ fellow is thinking of heading up to the angle to icefish next week?

I'm not sure what the ice is like lately up there but I tried to offer some sound advice!

fiskyknut

Maybe he has a airboat... there have been a few of those flying around out there.. you can hear them 10 miles away...