Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jimmy from Cottage Grove

Tilled Fields

6 posts in this topic

Today I tried my bean field spot, that I have had good success with over the past week. Yesteday they tilled my field over. I seen a couple hundred geese fly over today, none of which showed any intrest in my decoys. Is a tilled field worthless? I know it should be allright once we get some snow on the ground!! Any thoughts?

Jimmy,

I love tilled corn fields, but I can't say I have ever hunted a tilled bean field. I've killed geese out of beans, but when corn fields are an option it is pretty tough to compete.

My dad has been hunting his brothers tilled corn, and like Ray said, it has been dymamite. Had probably 2 thousand mallards on friday feeding in it, less each consecutive day, but still very good hunting. I havn't made it out between bowhunting and with the weather today I went fishing instead, but they got some tonight even with the bluebird skies. Field hunting is a blast. Tough decisions this time of year.

In my experiences I will say that tilled corn is by far the best, but I have had excellent success in tilled beans also.

I think with the right combination of decoys(especially #'s this time of year) and calling you can bring birds into gun range in any field. I have even hunted alfalfa or wheat this time of year and had success. It is all about presentation to the birds. With this spell of cold weather lately I think the #'s game plays a big role in bringing in birds. We use about 125 full bodies and 200 silies this time of year. Hope this helps.

Seems like birds like using un-tilled beans much more over tilled beans. Cant say I've ever found a big feed in a tilled bean field.

well who knows. I tried the same tilled field tonight. I only seen six birds with the fog they came right to me cupped and tried to land. Boom Boom and my hunt was all over.