• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sturgeon Excursion

barnyard

Breeze and I were putting the boat away and talking about the past year's fishing and we both agreed that one of the best trips we did was the Sturgeon Excursion. Right after the last one, we were already committed to doing it again.

Is there going to be another Sturgeon Excursion or are we on our own???

Last year, we did the excursion, came home and went turkey hunting. Turned out to be one of the best weeks for outdoor type fun that I had (not including motorcycle events...)

Brianna broke her wrist during our last motorcycle outing, so our fishing season is over too, but it would be fun to start planning for next year.

Tom B

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• harvey lee

• hanson

• DTro

• eyepatrol

I agree, that was a great trip!

It's too bad I got a little spoiled this fall and learned of a quality sturgeon population much closer to home.

After catching so many, it might take a long winter to get fired up to catch them again. grin.gif

It will be fun to see last year's vids wink.gif

Quote:

I agree, that was a great trip!

It's too bad I got a little spoiled this fall and learned of a quality sturgeon population much closer to home.

After catching so many, it might take a long winter to get fired up to catch them again.
grin.gif

It will be fun to see last year's vids
wink.gif

I agree, Dtro! We've got a mighty good fishery closer than Baudette wink.gif

I am sure there will be another. I know it was a blast for me. By far the funniest fish I caught this year. So I will be there even if there isn't an offical event.

• 4 weeks later...

I am very happy to see some interest allready!

I'll get to work on it!!!

Look for something soon....

Quote:

Dennis,

If you need any help you know where you can find me.

Ditto on that!

This sure seamed to be everyone's favorite event last year and I know it will be a blast again this year. Let me know if and how I can help Dennis.

Another Sturgeon incursion! Well why not, folks did seem to enjoy fishing for the King of Minnesota's gamefish!!!

Like last year I'll spin over for a day, maybe 2 this spring as I did'nt get to do much socialating last year.

fiskyknut

Way to soon to be getting pumped up for that trip. If I start to think of the sturgeon now, I dont know if I will be able to wait that long. A great time to meet fellow FMers and the fishing was also very good.

Never too early to get excited about a trip.... I would like to meet a few folks from here as well.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Shhhhhh...don't tell Jonny P about this. Pleeeeeeease.

Quote:

Why? will we need to give him another truck ride?

I bet he would rather ride in it a little differently this year. Hopefully the rebuilt back will hold. I was ready for this trip the minute I left last year. What a fun couple day on the water. By far one of the best trips I did last year. I can't wait. I never though I would wish for open water before the ice fishing season really got started. Oh well it will be here soon enough. But the other day at Cabela's I picked up another rod for sturgeon so I have already been preparing.

No new gear for me this year. I bought enough cat rods last year and gear to last for the next 10 years. I think I spend way to much on this fishing game,but its fun. I dont know why any person would need 29 rods for both ice and summer fishing. confused.gif

Quote:

I dont know why any person would need 29 rods for both ice and summer fishing.
confused.gif

Sounds like a GOOD START grin.gif. I am still looking for excuses for new equipment.

You guys have got me curious! So, now I have to ask lots of questions. grin.gif

Is there a special license that you have to buy to fish for sturgeon?

Is this on the MN side?

Need to buy a big musky-type net?

Bait...just crawlers or is there other good bait to use?

Where to go....is everyone an experienced sturgeon fisherman with all your "hotspots" or do you just "follow the crowds"?

Fishing in the river or on the lake (or both)?

I've fished for sturgeon before, but that was out in Oregon/Washington on the Columbia with my father-in-law and another guy who did all the "guiding". Never caught one though. I think I can get my hands on some sturgeon rods/reels as my father-in-law can't fish anymore and I know he's got equipment.

Pretty interested about this event, but know nothing about it at all.

Quote:

Is there a special license that you have to buy to fish for sturgeon?

No, unless you want to harvest one. In that case, you'll need a sturgeon tag.

Quote:

Is this on the MN side?

Yes. We fish in 4 mile bay and the Rainy River. Can launch right at the public access and its a short 5 minute ride to the "area".

Quote:

Need to buy a big musky-type net?

It would help. We had a couple last year that we couldn't quite get into the net. smile.gif

Quote:

Bait...just crawlers or is there other good bait to use?

Bingo. Big gob of crawlers that we called Medusa.

Quote:

Where to go....is everyone an experienced sturgeon fisherman with all your "hotspots" or do you just "follow the crowds"?

How's this for a crowd? LOL!

4milebay3ku.jpg

I can see myself in that pic. grin.gif

That trip was simply awesome. I have never, ever caught a fish with that much weight and strength that could almost make a person cry after a long battle. cool.gif I can't wait for the spring and this trip again! But we all gotta get thru the ice season first! wink.gif

A stiff muskie rod, strong line and a big ole' net is highly recommended. Simple creatures to catch, just a weight good size hook and lots of nightcrawlers.

Is that FM Central out there? smile.gif

I'll have to talk to my "boss", but this looks like a real fun event to attend. And I'm sure the fun isn't just on the water either. wink.gif Was reading last year's posts about this and it seems there was a real good turnout. Will wait to see what date and other info this gets set up for!

Eric

This is a great event and one that you would really enjoy. Lots of FMers attend and the company is great.I had the time of my life catching these pre-historic beasts last year and will attend without a doubt this next spring.

cool.gif

The fight is awesome. smile.gif

I'm in! Boss gave the go-ahead. grin.gif Now to get the equipment which I believe is mentioned in detail in last year's posts. Should be a great time! cool.gif

Ok, not to rehash this gear thing again, but....

after spending many, many, many hours this fall fishing these fish I've come to a few conclusions.

1. A stiff rod is a no, no

2. A rod that can handle big fish, but yet has an action to detect light bites (think catfish rods) work the best.

3. Circle hooks work great!

4. No need whatsoever for a clicker.

5. Sometimes you are better off holding the pole in your hand to detect the bites.

6. You can use your bass or walleye gear on a lot of the fish, but be prepared to have a big letdown when the biggest fish of your life spools you or breaks off.

Can't say for certain.....yet....if I'm in or out, but I can mirror what others have said. It's a blast, and you can't beat the company.

Eric

If you do go dont worry about a rod and reel as I have 6 and you are sure more than welcome to use a couple. Might save you a few bucks.