Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jbtwins24

what would you mount??

7 posts in this topic

tonight i saw one of my buddies friends that shot an ok 14 pointer. he said he was going to mount it. this guy has some huge bucks already mounted but i dont know why he would mount this buck. i honestly wouldnt mount it. the only good thing this buck was how many points it had. there was no mass and the biggest point didnt even reach 5 inchs. inside spread was 16inchs. so what would you mount?? would you mount something like this at all or not??

Its all personal preferance. Ive seen fork horns and six pointers mounted before. They usually either have a good story or it was first buck, or first buck with bow or something like that. Would I mount that buck, proabably, if i had the money. They look good and i think help decorate the house a little. I dont think there is anything wrong with mounting any deer that you shoot. If your paying for it, do what you like with it. It will last you forever.

I agree completely. A trophy is much more than a mathematical number. Might be a unique rack, a special hunt or a buck with a special "personality", anything. I have at least a rack mount of every buck I've shot. I've taken enough bucks now that I wont shoot one that isnt worth a full shoulder or a european mount.

I do part time taxidermy and I always get people coming in and go through the "bone pile" and say "I dont know why he's getting a head mount on this one" and it always burns me because a trophy is a personal thing. If its not big enough don't shoot and if you shoot it respect it enough to save it.

A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.I would say if he thinks its a mounter,to mount it.One cannot judge anothers trophy.

Quote:

A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.I would say if he thinks its a mounter,to mount it.One cannot judge anothers trophy.

That is the truth!

We did a promo in Pine City this weekend and from 11am - 1pm we took pictures of Deer with the lucky hunters. We saw a lot of nice deer and heard a lot of great stories! A couple guys sheepishly asked....Do you think this is mountable? My answer? Yes! Any deer you want to mount is mountable.

The problem? Too many people see these big deer on T.V. and in the sporting good chains and loose sight of what a real trophy is!

wink.gif

alright, looking back on what i started, i know that its just up to your personal belief i guess. im not going to tell anybody that they cant mount what ever they want. heck, ive seen people mount there does head too. myself, i already mounted two heads, my first buck/deer ever in gun season and thats a big 9 pointer and my frist bcuk for a bow and thats a nice 12. if i would of shot a 8 my first buck for bow i would of mounted him but instead i got that 12. its just what you want to do and if you can afford to do that. now im just looking for a perfect rack so i can just get the antlers mounted.

If I were to ever get an 8 pointer with a 16" inside spread, or anything larger, I would mount it. Anything less for me would be questionable, not from a rack size standpoint, just from the point that it costs quite a little money to mount a deer and at this time I've got better things to do with that money, unless of course I get one as big or bigger than mentioned.