Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
baldav

Thanksgiving weekend

2 posts in this topic

I last fished the river the last weekend in October and did great, but no hogs. Wondering if you guys think it will be possible to fish Thanksgiving weekend. I have no idea when ice usually forms on the river up there. Would probably be fishing out of Clementson. Any thoughts on whether it would be worth the effort? Thanks in advance for the help.

Last Thursday morning the river was entirely froze over at our place & I am assuming from Birchdale to the bay. We had a low of 12 degrees and 0 wind. There were a few jams that broke-up over the last 2 days and the river is basicly wide open today with a surface temp of 36 degrees.

The forecast leads me to believe that the river will be open through next W/E (11/11) & I believe that we will need below 20 temps with little to no wind to freeze over, as we may actually gain a degree or 2 of water temp over the next few days. I personally don't put much stock in a forecast over 48 hrs out let alone 2 weeks out.

A couple years ago we fished 4-mile bay on Thanksgiving but we were drilling 4" of ice.

My advice is, watch the weather channel & decide.

Good Luck!