Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jigginjim

1st ice

20 posts in this topic

How soon will we get enough ice to walk on for fishing?

Buffalo had a thin layer this morning? I think if temps stay at these temps. We could be on ice by Thanksgiving.

Pulaski's water temp today was 44degrees.

I doubt it but wouldn't that be a great thing to be greatful for. If by chance we can I'll be out at charlotte. Keep your fingers crossed.

I was optimistic too, until I saw next weeks forecast.. frown.gif

From the looks of things, its going to be a few weeks if not a month from the forcast that i have been seeing and looking at. We can only hope that it will change.

Safe fishing by Christmas!

"Your Bobbers Down!"

December 1st. Thats two weeks and a day. This is what Old Man Winter told me when I bumped into him last night as I was trying to float my icehouse out on the lake.

If anyone is interesting in sending me ice conditions I would really appreciate it.

I'm guessing i'll be fishing some of the shallower clear lakes in about 2 weeks, so right around thanksgiving would be my guess

That would be nice. My guess would be the week after thanks for "safe" ice.

K Dawg

I sure do hope we are out by then. Im looking forward to it forsure.

I sure hope you guys are right. smile.gif I'm getting tired of setting up and taking down my fish house in the garage frown.gif

Bring on the ice I say!!

Quote:

How soon will we get enough ice to walk on for fishing?

Buffalo had a thin layer this morning? I think if temps stay at these temps. We could be on ice by Thanksgiving.

Pulaski's water temp today was 44degrees.

grin.gif My guess is gonna be second week in January!!

I'll be trolling on thanksgiving... I don't think we'll have decent ice until the later part of December. Not real safe until january. frown.gif

talked to my cousin on sunday. he told me john was mostly frozen over. not going to be too long now, water is real close, just need the air to cooperate.

Sat and Sunday 18th and 19th, I was on Cedar near Annandale and there was not one bit of ice on the lake. With the surface temps being at 37 degrees. Evening temps will have to get MUCH lower for any type of good ice to form and stay. Daily highs the last few days have been hovering around that 40 plus degree area with today and tomorrow around 50. There will be no ice on area lakes by tomorrow afternoon. I'm wondering how Lake John can be froze over when about 5 miles away I was ON Cedar and saw zero ice.... Very strange. confused.gif

As you may recall Cedar was the last lake in the area to freeze last year. Ice formed on Clearwater and Pleasent first. We then got about 6 inches of snow a day or so after the freeze up. Cedar did not freeze and was the only larger lake with decent ice during the first couple weeks. I'm not sure why it didn't freeze but it may have more rapid water movement than the others.

"Your bobbers down!"

A few years ago guys where ice fishing Buffalo lake. while i was fishing from my boat on pulaski. In fact, the year the trucks went through the ice near the ramp. I was fishing puaski that same day with my boat.

JJ...I was always under the impression that Pulaski is a highly spring fed lake with no outlet? Years ago the lake rose like crazy and flooded all the houses and cabins that used to be over by the little lake. We were fishing crappies in the spring, right in peoples garages!

The lake always seems to freeze later then the other lakes and I think the springs have something to do with that...also why the lake is so clear.

I don't trust Pulaski in the winter....I never drive on the big lake. I shouldn't say never, I have driven on it once, maybe two times, but thats it and it wasn't far from the landing.

pulaski always freezes very late. I will no longer drive a truck or car on the ice, I will use my sled or wheeler.

I was on pulaski friday, the water temp. was still 41. Lots of little fish was all I could muster. (darn hammerhandles)

It was nice to have the boat on the water once more. Did locate some nice pannies, may come in handy if hard water ever happens.