Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crappace

Muzzleloader Ideas??????

10 posts in this topic

I am looking for any information my fellow FMers have to share with me on Muzzleloaders. I have been riflehunting for 20 some years and want to extend my time in the woods. Any information on guns that you all own would be apprecieated. I am looking or an inline gun of the .50 or .54 cal, I think. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I have a CVA Optima Pro in 50 cal. I like this rifle for the extra length on the barrel. It shoots well, and easy to clean using 777 powder. It really put the smack down on a nice 10 point the first day of the muzzle loader season.

I would stick with the 50 cal for deer. Anything CVA, Knight, Or Tompson Center makes will work great. Depends on your budget and preferences. Walmart actually has a CVA Optima for around 200 I think TC makes some of the best however I also believe you pay alot of the name.

crappace--email me at tom @ imagesofcreation dot net. I have some info you might be interested in.

Tom W

i have the .50 cal t/c omega. black thumbhole stock with stainless barrel. SWEET gun. Had it a year now. I only use open sights on it, no scope as i use it during the MN muzzleloader season. I can hit a clay pigeon sized target at 100 yards every shot with it. VERY ACCURATE gun. I shoot 100 grains of powder- 2 50 gr. pellets - with t/c's cheap shot sabots. They are not the fancy jacketed bullets but that lead sure works wonders on a deer and is very accurate out of my gun.

T/C has a lifetime warranty and I have only owned T/C guns, this is the 3rd one, and I have had great success with their customer service. It isn't a cheap gun, but it will last you forever.

Cleaning is easy to do also.

There are other good guns and this is one of best, imo.

I have the TC Omega. Accurate, easy to use, stays pretty clean. Since we can't use scopes in this state (which only impedes your ability to make a cleaner kill), I put a peep site on it. 4 inch groups at 50 yards and 7 inch groups at 100 yards using 777 and Powerbelts, which I like for the ease of loading.

I had a CVA bolt action, and I like the TC Omega much better. I have a friend with the new Savage, and he LOVES that gun.

I personally have the TC Omega. Black satin, fluted stainless barrel and the thumbhole stock. If you go with TC I would highly recommend the thumbhole stock. To me it just feels like it make the gun more rock solid when your aiming up. In my mind, it is well worth the money.

With that said, if I had to do it all over again, I think I'd get the new TC Encore. This way I could change out the barrels to go from Muzzleloader to rifle. It is spendy however.

As stated earlier, I'd stick with the 50 cal. I shoot Triple 7 pellets (100grains total) and 250 gr TC Shockwave bullets.

I have a TC. Best Muzzleloader out there!!!!!!

First off, thanks to everyone for the help.

2nd, WaveWacker, When you turn the Encore into a normal rifle with the barrel change, its still a one shot gun right?

That's right. Still a One shot gun and actually I believe that buying the barrels seperately may not be all that much cheaper then buying a whole new gun. I may be wrong???

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• perry p

Posted (edited)

Thanks Workin, Bart and especially Jim for the replies. My family really enjoys fishing on Clearwater lake.

Edited by perry p
      Misspell
    • muskie-mike

Posted

Good walleye bite on leadcore..40 walleyes in 25-28 ft of water,mid lake..None over 16 inches...

• JBMasterAngler

Posted

First time up in Brainerd in 3 years. Went to big trout on Friday, thinking it would be a guarantee (which it usually is). Nope! Not even the rock bass were hitting! Only ended up with a couple pike and a couple largemouths. The inspector at the boat launch was showing me some pics of a couple lake trout this one guy had caught a few days earlier, a 34 and 36 incher! Saturday we were going to fish gull, but it was jam packed with people! Was there a tournament going on? Ended up at a secret little lake where my wife caught bass and pike one right after the other, while I couldn't get a bite to save my life! Was good to be back up there after a 3 year absence. Hopefully I'll find the time to get up there again.

• Cliff Wagenbach

Posted

Very nice walleye no matter how the picture came out! Do not see many of those each year!

We ended up keeping 9 walleyes and releasing 3 slot fish between 19" and 23".

Cliff

• LBerquist

Posted

Here's the proof of the 28" I told you about today cliff. Unfortunately this picture doesn't make this fish out to be nearly as impressive as she was in person. I'm gonna need to work on my selfie skills.

20160925_104541.jpg

2 people like this
    • my family and I new to the area this summer we have been fishing the shore lines around maple lake and have done.  I am not familiar with the are a around here, we would like to get a few more times and ideas or how to advice would be appreciated, I also have a 4 year old we are just introducing to the sport  i don't have and am not really in fishing catfish, just to get out a bit more before things freeze up 

thank you Mike in Crookston 

• bassbouncer

Posted

Interesting headline in the Virginia newspaper this morning. The Landing is being sued by past employees for not paying minimum wage, not paying overtime, and keeping up to 50% of the employees tips that were received via credit card. 

IMG_6155.JPG

• monstermoose78

Posted

8 hours ago, ZachD said:

if you ever need another shooter let me know I would be down to shoot with you

I am always up for bringing someone else with

• RoosterMan

Posted

Drove to Ely yesterday and there were some pockets of great color. I would definitely think next weekend would be worth the trip. 

2 people like this
    • Cliff Wagenbach

Posted

I would say that we are about 1/4 into fall colors in this area.

Cliff

• perry p
      Thanks Workin, Bart and especially Jim for the replies. My family really enjoys fishing on Clearwater lake.
    • muskie-mike
      Good walleye bite on leadcore..40 walleyes in 25-28 ft of water,mid lake..None over 16 inches...
    • JBMasterAngler
      First time up in Brainerd in 3 years. Went to big trout on Friday, thinking it would be a guarantee (which it usually is). Nope! Not even the rock bass were hitting! Only ended up with a couple pike and a couple largemouths. The inspector at the boat launch was showing me some pics of a couple lake trout this one guy had caught a few days earlier, a 34 and 36 incher! Saturday we were going to fish gull, but it was jam packed with people! Was there a tournament going on? Ended up at a secret little lake where my wife caught bass and pike one right after the other, while I couldn't get a bite to save my life! Was good to be back up there after a 3 year absence. Hopefully I'll find the time to get up there again.
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      Very nice walleye no matter how the picture came out! Do not see many of those each year! We ended up keeping 9 walleyes and releasing 3 slot fish between 19" and 23". Cliff
    • LBerquist
      Here's the proof of the 28" I told you about today cliff. Unfortunately this picture doesn't make this fish out to be nearly as impressive as she was in person. I'm gonna need to work on my selfie skills.