• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fish Still Snapping?

Just wondering if the eyes are still snapping in the river? I was up last weekend and did well but was just trying to decide on a mid-week trip back up for some more jiggin. What has the bite been doing lately?

Last weekend was good. I am hoping for a run of big fish with the slight warming trend in the forecast. It has happened before at this time of the year. I'm going up to fish one last time. The stretch closer to Baudette can be killer if the fish are still coming in.

Hey T-Rock,

You better make 1 more trip! Sorry to ditch you last time. Ended up not leaving anyway.

Just got in off the river. Fished from 1:45-2:45 without a bite but made a third pass in the exact same place and picked up a 16, 17, & 15. Next drift a 26, 15, 16, & a wiff. Had to get back so not sure what they did after 3:45.

Was using a green metalic prism eye fireball with a rainbow & a touch of Gulp. Caught 3 of the 6 on the stinger.

The guys I talked to were not doing well but only talked to 2 others.

frown.gif Uff Da!! Was up for a 3 day trip, fished two and came home.. Wx (temps) kicked our butt, icy ramp kicked our butt, fishies kicked our butt. 4 in the box, couple dinks tossed back to fight again, a perch and a 25lb sturgeon Not the ideal run to the rainy, but never the less, a great trip..

Why was it a great trip, learned new water and met great folks. After a morning of about "0" wind chill, icy ramp and no fishies (no swings and misses either, just no fishies) decided a change was needed. Ran to meet the "Royal Dutchman" and plead for guidance. The Dutchman (Doug) was not around at the moment and we met the Royal Duchess (Marilyn) and was just a great person, shared info willingly. Doug arrived and we discussed more fishing. We left the Dutchess and Dutchman totally renewed and ready to fish. Awesome couple and it was worth the trip just to meet these two folks. Wish there were more like em..

Overall, got my fishing butt kicked, but came home happy. Thanks to Doug and Marilyn. Oh yeah, learned all about extreme weather fishing, breaking ice with the boat, how much geese crap when they take off over water, dang near like being strafed and how much it costs to have a guy come from Baudette to unlock your truck while its running, on the ramp and boat trailer in the water. There is always next yr....

Oh yeah, find deep water, 19 or better...... And stay away from the Frontier Ramp, not sanded like Vidas... Chartruse, gold and pink were the colors... Just couldnt find the fishies...

Rod

Doug and Marylin are great people. Ill be staying with them again for sure.

I have stayed at Clementson and Dutchmans both this year and you cant go wrong at either. I do like the newer rooms at Dutchmans.

Thanks for the kind words guys! It's always a real struggle for M & I to talk fishing (LOL)! I appreciate the attitudes of REAL FISHERMEN even when the fish aren't cooperating. Sometimes those miserable trips are as fun to talk about over a cold one as the good trips are.

Hit the river Sat. 2pm til dark and I totally sucked. Buddy was getting light hits on shiners & caught 2. I went 1 for 2 on rainbows. Never got above 30 degrees and was a miserable day. Two boats of our guys filled 5 limits by anchoring and basicly dead-sticking in a 200 yd. area all day. They released a 24,25,26,& 27.

Today was a very different story. Hit the water at 9AM. Temp was already warmer than Sat. at 33. Struggled for 2 hours & had a couple. Moved to where the guys had done well Sat. and started banging! When I hit 10 my buddy(at 0) switched to rainbows and started scoring. We caught close to 20 fish in 45 min. with a 25" & 28". Things slowed down so we moved again and caught another 20+ fish with a 28.5" sow for my buddy. Slowed again and buddy was already late so stopped a couple places on the way home and popped a few more with a 20" for good measure. Home by 4PM.

Weather is supposed to hold til Thurs., so should have a few more good trips left.

Just returned from an interesting trip to the Rainy. Was expecting cold temps, but waking up to a frozen river Friday morning was priceless. We were the first to put in at Frontier Friday morning at the crack of 10:30am and after breaking both of my tailights off the trailer I seriously wondered "Are we the only idiots going fishing today?" My question was answered with a resounding "NO" about 10 minutes later when another boat pulled in. I think we saw 6 other groups of "REAL Anglers" on Friday at Frontier.

As for the fishing, it was less than spectacular, but a success none the less. We managed 15 fish each day with most in the 15 - 18 inch range. Having lived there for 3 years I know it only takes one fish to make the trip memorable and that fish came on Saturday when I landed a nice 28 1/2 incher. I also lost a nice 45 - 50" sturgeon at the boat. All in all another successful trip.

Doug - glad to hear that you and Tony did well, I wish we could have fished with you guys yesterday, but now that I'm not a local that beautiful 5 1/2 hour drive kind of gets in the way.

War Eagle!!!

Joe

Yea Nodak, Sorry about that key locked in the truck thingy. Hey on the good side of that, fish wer'nt biting an we did'nt have 30 boats waiting to unload, I think if it were te weekend we, I mean I would have lynched. Next time I hold the boat while you get the truck. Yes Doug an Marilyn, It was a pleasure meeting you and thank you for youre time an info, It really makes a trip worthwhile to find such nice folks along the way. Thanks again an I will call with my credit card number for next years reservation. Yes fishing was tough but thats why we call it fishing an not catching, that just dosent sound right dose it, Hey lets go catching, or did ya fish one. Anywho Hard water is fast approaching WheeHaw..... Later Boar

Dud,

My dad's been out the past few days. Been doing well very early and late, but not much going on in between. He's been in the bay. Good luck.

Fishing is still quite good and typically stays that way till freeze-up.

Had a great day on Sun. with a 20,25,28,& 28.5 and around 50 total. Any color jig as long as it had a rainbow on it. I was 8 or 10 up on my buddy before he gave up on shiners and fished 1/1 with me the rest of the day.

Have fished everyday this week and found fish each day. They seem to be deep or on the break before deep. I have had a Northland Tackle green prism eye on for 2 weeks, have the color wore off the bottom half and it's still doing the job. Just can't lose that thing and no reason to change!

In defense of shiners, my buddy actually took an early lead yesterday with them but I passed him later in the day. We boated 25 in 3 hours with a 26. Wind was wicked and finally gave up. We could catch fish as long as we could hold the boat still. Fish just don't want the bait to hardly move.

Dropped in and popped a 26 today in about 2 minutes then spent a 1/2 hour waiting for 1 more. Moved and hit 1 every 10 min. till dark. Only caught 1 fish today that wasn't on the stinger hook. Hitting hard but back.

Water surface temp was 40 yesterday. My muskrat modified transducer didn't want to read today so don't know what it is now. Supposed to cool off tomorrow but back into the 40's on Sun. The fat lady may be warming up but I don't think she going to sing just yet. Hope not cause we're havin' a ball!

Ya sure Doug, rub it in..... & I just got my boat thawed out... crazy.gif

It was still a great time up with my brother & I do like the fact you refer to all of us that were up there & out fishing in the cold wx last week as real fisherman. Funny thing tho, thats not even close to what I was calling myself at the time.. grin.gif

Thanks for the report. Looking forwards to next time.....

Rod

Was out by the church on Sunday and limited out in 45 minutes. Fishing slowed down at 12:00pm and turned back on in high gear at 3:30pm.....then it was drop the jig down and pull a fish up almost everytime.

Sounds like fun Dud. I was penciled in to go on Sunday as well but that fell thru and I had no plan B. I have'nt launched at Wheelers my last few trips or I would've have responded to your ? regarding that dock....Still a 1/2 in?

fiskyknut