Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Down Deep

Island Lake Ice

17 posts in this topic

I was thinking about fishing Island Lake(Duluth) on Sunday 11/5 to close out the 2006 open water season. Anyone know if there is any ice by the ramps?

The small lake I'm on had opened up completely the last week and refroze last night. I think it'll stay that way till Spring. As to Island lake I can't say whether you could get in or not. Someone will pipe in with a an answer.

I'll be breaking ice on Sunday if I need to. If the launch is in a shallow wind protected bay there may be a little ice but if your set on fishing I would imagine you could get out. Saturday is supposed to be fairly warm with a low of only like 35 or so going into Sunday. Top it off with winds up to 10mph and I think that is going to open most lakes up again.

Granny

I was on Island last night as my first option, Rice Lake was all locked up in ice. I was amazed due to the strong winds we have had lately. Anyways, the ramp and the bay off of Abbott Rd were free of ice. I won't be surprised to see that bay where the access is be frozen soon with calmer winds.

Be careful going in and out of Abbitt Landing with the low water there are a few spots that you can hit on now. I would do MN. Power Landing. The D A M landing is very low and if you use that one use the Rt. side if your looking down the landing. VERY shallow on the left side.

On my way into work South Bay on Island was completly froze over... Fish was also frozen as far as the eye could see... smile.gifsmile.gif

Pike lake also had some shore ice this morning

I went out and fished Island Lake yesterday. I launched from the D A M . All was clear there. Although, There was a long shallow channel I had to "plow" through about 75 yards of ice about an inch thick laugh.gif. Some of the shores in the bays were forming ice. And as THOR6600 mentioned, South bay was completely iced over.

Nunnu

THOR6600, I missed my chance to welcome to FM. And nunnu good to see you.

Thank you very much Surface Tension, it's starting to close in again in south bay on my way into work this morning it won't be long now!!!

Yah me to Thor but welcome. Nice to have a Island Lake info guy.

Hey ST,

Hows it been goin for ya. We'll have to hook up for some ice-time again this year. I'm really loooking forward to the season...

Talk to ya later,

Nunnu

nunnu, things are good here. We'll have to get out for sure.

I see your seling the pontoon, are you getting a new one?

The lakes should make some ICE cold out It will not be long I have no fish at home and can not wait for a good fish fry smile.gif. If I would be fishing than hunting I would not have this problem confused.gif I cant wait but I will wait till there is safe ICE. cool.gif

ST,

Yeah, Arne bought a new Bennington. Beautiful Pontoon, I might add. So hes trying to get rid of the Bass Buggy.

But anyway, I'm really waiting for some ice. I'll probably hit Fish Lake first this year again, then make the rounds.

Talk to ya soon,

Nunnu

How thick of ice is in the bays? Anyone drive past within the last day or 2?

From the looks of them Im guessing less than a inch. Still not time to try to get out at all. I tossed about a 4# rock into a bay on the river and it shot straight through. Less than 1/2" there for sure.

Be safe guys and remember "no ice is safe ice".