Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
patchieusa

MAIDEN LAKE

5 posts in this topic

last 2 winters and fall got big northern, perch, crappies out of Maiden Lake north of bingham lake, was checking out the lake a week ago and notices lots of dead fish on the shore line. i called the dnr and they said they killed off the lake to use as a walleye rearing pond. I know a few of you were out there last year and had good luck. So this is an info on not to go there this winter as there is no fish left. mad.gif they would not tell me if they took any out and put them in a different lake. confused.gif

I have fished Maiden a few times each winter for the last 5 years or so. You are definately right about the perch and Northern. My guess is they trapped or netted as much as they could out of the lake before killing it off. They did that with Mountain Lake before the restocking in '98, there were several 8+ lb. pike washed up all over along with several other sizable fish. Anyways, I dont know how their rearing pond plan will work out, thats supposedly what Eagle Lake was going to be and if you were out there that winter, well, you know what happened there.

Before I moved, I used to fish Maiden alot in the fall and winter.. i was told the DNR used it BEFORE for a rearing pond and due to some miscommunication, they couldnt get on the land anymore to get what they wanted... Now the yhav control of it again?? Did I miss something or did they FINALLY iron out the problems with the landowner??..I'll have to ask a guy in my bass club who works for the DNR out of windom, maybe he can tell me and i will report back asap

Bassmasher is right. Maiden was used by the DNR before. I beleave it was back around 1995 but my memory has never been the same since I got struck in the head with that blue alum. bat P.S. Hi Egghead!! grin.gif

DH!! call me that again and I will hit you with a GOOD bat!! P.s. Come fix my suv and i can hook ya up with some GREAT fishing this way!! grin.gif

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• SkunkedAgain

Posted

Oh man, I forgot about the South Switch. I haven't been there in close to fifteen years. I doubt that it's changed.....maybe I'll head there tomorrow night!

• Not lately but a buddy got 3 in big fork yesterday... No dog just him walking

• MrSchrute

Posted

Anyone been out lately? I normally wait until the leaves start dropping but am getting the itch to get out pretty bad.

• delcecchi

Posted

Prices a little high there too....   Come on down to the switch or the crescent.  

Didn't Bayview try the upscale dining thing a few years ago? 

• eyeguy 54

Posted

I miss ice fishing there

1 person likes this
    • BartmanMN

Posted

Where are all the Duck reports from the almighty Pelican? 

Did all this rain fill the lake back up?  I haven't driven by at all. 

I bet the crappies and gills are growing nicely.   Soon enough.

1 person likes this
    • Big Kype

Posted

Yep it is the 3 S's - I just don't think a lot of people are going to be grouse hunting with a shovel - but not a bad idea.

• BringAnExtension

Posted

Thank you gentlemen.  I knew I'd get a quick answer!

• NorthwoodKing

Posted

St. Croix Avid 6’6” Med - spinning $75

St. Croix Premier 6’ Med – spinning $75

St. Croix Premier 7’ Med – spinning $75

St. Croix Premier 6’ Med lite Fast – spinning $75

St. Croix Premier glass/graphite Moderate – trolling $75

Fenwick Eagle 6’6” Med Fast – spinning $75

Pflueger President Spinning reel  #6730 $60

Pflueger President Spinning reel  #6730 $60

Pflueger President Spinning reel  #6925 $70

Daiwa Sealine SG17LC3B $75

• leech~~

Posted

17 hours ago, phillyfacks said:

We've got a cabin up on Pelican and I've definitely noticed less cormorants on the lake this summer.  The state did grant the owner of Gooseberry Island a permit to kill cormorants, which was done this Spring.  I talked to a DNR officer on the lake this summer and he said they had shot almost 400 birds, I don't recall the exact numbers but it was somewhere between 350-400. 

Thanks for the Update, I think that I did see less birds out on Edwards as well later this summer. Hopefully they shoot 400 more next spring! :)

1 person likes this