Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikethepike

Ice Fishing?

11 posts in this topic

When does everybody think it will be safe to get out on the ice around the area. I'm from the Alex region and I don't think I'll get out anytime soon here.

Well, if today is an indication of things to come, we should be ice fishing by Thanksgiving. Smaller ponds were skimme dover this morning. Noticed Round lake was iced about 50 feet from shore and in the bullrushes.

I'm guessing we'll be on the ice of some smaller bodies of water a week after Thanksgiving. I hope I'm wrong---I want it to be sooner!!

Will be out when there's 3 inches of ice. First of December I imagine.

Usually the first week in Dec. we will have some ice, most years. Some years late November. Should be a good bite too!

Jason Erlandson

If it is any indication, our pond froze over last night. A full two weeks ahead of last year. Looks like it might warm up next week though . . .

Cant wait for the hard water season out on the WFC!!

If the weather stays like this ill have my boat out till Dec. I like that

True, as fun as the hard water season is out there... ya cant beat the boat fishing!! Just curious if anyone's had any success with the night bite out there this fall for eyes... I do my best fishing under the moon by trolling cranks out at Father Foley's bar...

Moses,

I've spent some time doing that as well. Do you usually get right up on top of the bar at night, or work the edge? It's a tough bar, one moment your in 12ft, the next it's 45ft.

I agree.. no matter how many times you troll it, its still hard to stay on it, sure isnt as straight and consistant as many maps show... I usually stay on top of hit, as shallow as I can get at night... During the morning or evening I venture out slightly farther into more 20-25 fow to avoid the constant barage of little snakes in the shallows, once they cant see I head up on top of the bar