• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

My Halloween Buck!

fishermn

Well, even with the howling winds and 17 degree temps, I decided to get up and head out at about 5:30 this morning. I was a little behind schedule, and I just got to my parking spot as it began to get light. Another 20 minutes later, I had just climbed into my stand and pulled up my bow. As I turn around to get the release out of my bag, I notice a big shooter coming in at about 50 yards. He was walking at asteady pace and closing the distance pretty quickly. Yikes, I was not ready! shocked.gif I get the release out, slowly peel the velcro fastener back and slide the release on without the buck every knowing I was there. Then I reached for my bow, and pull out an arrow (which I accidentally clunk on the quiver as I am taking it out, making a heck of a noise) Still, he doesnt hear me and continues to come right down the trail into my main shooting area. Now the adrenalin hits and I am shaking like a leaf... All the while this big guy is heading down a trail passing about 25 yards right in front of my stand. He gets 25 yards out, I draw, then grunt to stop him. Just as I do that I start to aim and realize my peep turned a bit and I can barely see... ugh. I let down, and he keeps walking. I tweak the peep sight, re-drawn and now its right on. I stop him again, and he stops in a nice clear spot at 33 yards out. I let er rip, and hit him perfectly. Got a nice clean pass through with the arrow exiting just behind the right front shoulder. He went about 40 yards and dropped in his tracks grin.gifgrin.gif

Green score is right around 148 5/8.

Oct_2006_buck_1-sm.jpg

I'm jealous smirk.gif but glad to hear you had a bowhunting day you'll never forget! Congrats on that dandy!

Quote:

I get the release out, slowly peel the velcro fastener back and slide the release on without the buck every knowing I was there.

The biggest stroke of luck you got was not getting busted by that dag-gone velcro.

It's the reason I go out of my way to buy buckle releases.

congratulations on a seriously nice buck!

Sweet halloween buck fishermn, CONGRATS! Do you suppose he was in pursuit of a hot doe being he wasn't paying too much attention? Congrats again. Nice buck!

Irvingdog, I agree, I was really lucky with that stupid velcro. I do have a buckle type too, but it takes longer to put on than the velcro, so this time I was lucky I had the velcro one!

Regarding the doe question, I dont think he was on a does trail, it was just so windy and noisy I dont think he heard or saw me.

The spooky part here is that I was hunting about 250 yards up a hill from a cemetary, and thats right where the buck was headed... ooo.gifooo.gifooo.gif

Sort of Ironic I guess....

Getting up and getting out there on a morning like that, you deserve that one! That's why it all worked out because you were not sleeping! I was at the computer writing my article for the Brainerd Dispatch when you dispatched that one, nice job. I was out for 5 hours tonight and saw one solo deer at 50 yards through the brush.

Walleyedan

Good things happen to good people. Very nice buck. I only hope that I will see one that nice this weekend. grin.gif

Nice Buck.

I wish I could have been out there. I had to do the Halloween thing with the boys. Yes, I know they are only young once, but man my timing has been terrible this week.

Now, I need to sneak out of work early and site in the rifle. Maybe I can sit for an hour or two tonight.

Great buck, man.

Congrats on the Buck.....that's why I always put my release on before I head to the stand. Knowing my luck I'd drop the release to the bottom of the tree if that happened to me.

Hey there, nice work!

Luck shmuck, quite a bit of preparedness and smooth movements had to take place for you to get that buck. Even if you made a bit of noise, you still had to get it done.

Congrats on closing the deal.

Joel

FISHERMN

I see that you are an electrical engineer my brother is also and he is moving to Duluth and I was wondering if you could give me some hints as of where he could look for work in that field. Thanks and congrads on the buck very nice.

I did that yesterday morning as I was pulling my face mask out of my pocket, the release & the can call hit the ground. I was very pleased, but it was so windy it didn't matter.

Glad I wasn't using my climber, had the clip on my pull string come off once using that, had to go all the way back down & reattach the string to get my bow up there. I got too "warm" that time...

Doser, in this particular hunting area, you have to shoot from an elevated platform, so I dont put my release on til I am up... I dont even want to be tempted grin.gif I think the thought of dropping that release runs through my head every time... I have considered tying it off to my sleeve somhow grin.gif Just glad I didnt fumble it yesterday!!

Rippin, have him shoot me an email. dsmaki at yahoo

Great job! That's a beauty. I want to see a nice one this year, but only in range in the clear.