Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sportland_Bait

Scrapes, Rubs, Trails, Stand Placement?

4 posts in this topic

I have a stand set up on a funnel area at the bottom of a ridge near a feeding area. I did some more scouting yesterday and found 2 new scrapes and a rub on a deer trail that runs on top of the ridge about 75 yards behind my stand. Should I move closer to the area that i noticed the fresh sign or stay put in the location that I am at? In past years while bowhunting during the rifle season during the rut I seen a few bucks chasing does through the area I have my stand at. What would you guys do?

Jason Erlandson

Missing some info. (approximate distance from bottom to top of ridge, elevation change, etc.). With that said, I think this is good, general advice...

With the rut kicking in (look for signs of this in your area), my stand placement would be where the does are. Since you've seen bucks chasing does near the bottom of the ridge, stick to that. Find the does.

If the bucks aren't chasing, get to the top of the ridge EARLY - at least an hour before sunrise. He travels the top of the ridge and probably beds on top because thermals rise upwards as the sun warms the side of the ridge. He can smell everything below him.

Of course, this is assuming pressure where you're hunting will allow deer to act normal. If it's pressured heavily, think thick.

The top of the ridge is about 90 yards from my stand. There have been plenty of does using the feeding area near my stand. The other day i was watching about a dozen does and fawns feeding the picked corn when a spike buck wanderred over to feed. The does all got real jumpy. The rutting should be starting soon. I think I'll stay where I am, just see what happens. I might be able to grunt one off the ridge into bow range. We'll see. Thanks.

Jason Erlandson

Jason

If the deer are moving through the area you have your stand placed at, stay put... Especially if this is on the main travel corridors for the does heading out into that field to feed. As long as the wind is right, and this is the case, any buck looking for a hot doe will work this corridor to intercept a hot track of a hot doe. Good luck...

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• ANYFISH2

Posted

First off I am not a waterfowl hunter, so this info is second hand.

Here in the Morrison/E.Todd cty area, the hunt really seemed slow considering the weather conditions.  Although a few birds were shot early in morning the day seemed slow by most accounts around here.

Good luck to all.

• she's getting big

• delcecchi

Posted

Crescent and south switch have good burgers too, and I wouldn't have to drive so far. 

• monstermoose78

Posted

No internet in the field today. Had a group sky busting keeping birds out of anyone's range. Riverrat and I got buzzed by teal a few time and a pair of woodies scooted through. Should have had a shoveler and some woodies. The bugs were so bad I lost 4 pints of blood. 

Now to the fun parts Finn was jumping woodcock son the fields on our way out. Finn did good but does not like no action. After leaving the refuge I checked my dads pond. O yeah there was a woodie sitting on the log bang!! No finn needs to do his job.

IMG_0607.JPG

IMG_0610.JPG

IMG_0612.JPG

Finn did good he got it and brought it back to me!! Way to go Finn. 

1 person likes this
    • Lindy came along on our trip to Western MN for duck opener. The guys that came out Thursday to start scouting had a field lined up with alot of geese but they got busted off the roost early in a huge flock and didn't commit. We ended up with only 2 birds today.  She had to stay back in her crate during the hunt but got to play with a wing afterwards. 

IMG_20160924_110720925.jpg

IMG_20160924_104852333_HDR.jpg

1 person likes this
    • Cliff Wagenbach

Posted

Great burgers at the Black Bear Cafe just South of Tower at any time!

Great price on Thursdays (burger day at around $3.50)!

Cliff

• dairyman

Posted (edited)

what size screen does your new unit have----------------I have a 5 inch helix with side imaging and for me it worthless-------------------the screen is TOO small to see whats going on.  I wouldn't buy any unit that didn't have at least a 7 inch screen.  What unit is your new one??

Edited by dairyman
    • dairyman

Posted

I've got a powerdrive also...............my unit would run fine out of water,in water no way.  The prop would barely turn.  I ended up replacing the board the unit and it runs like champ now.  I had it to a dealer and they told me there was nothing wrong with it----------but ,they only bench tested it and did not do a tank test

• DRAGFOOT

Posted

Fished Thursday in 30 feet out of the gap and did very well. Couple of slots and a couple of dinks but mostly nice keeper size fish, had to quit early in the day because we had all our fish. Should only get better from here on out I would think. 

• RoosterMan

Posted

Feels like fall this morning!  I was yesterday morning with my son. We did some trolling and it was really good.  I think I might try to get the jigging rods out today and give that a go.  First headed to see the wolves with the kids.  

• ANYFISH2
      First off I am not a waterfowl hunter, so this info is second hand. Here in the Morrison/E.Todd cty area, the hunt really seemed slow considering the weather conditions.  Although a few birds were shot early in morning the day seemed slow by most accounts around here. Good luck to all.
    • ZachD
      she's getting big
    • delcecchi
      Crescent and south switch have good burgers too, and I wouldn't have to drive so far. 
    • monstermoose78
      No internet in the field today. Had a group sky busting keeping birds out of anyone's range. Riverrat and I got buzzed by teal a few time and a pair of woodies scooted through. Should have had a shoveler and some woodies. The bugs were so bad I lost 4 pints of blood.  Now to the fun parts Finn was jumping woodcock son the fields on our way out. Finn did good but does not like no action. After leaving the refuge I checked my dads pond. O yeah there was a woodie sitting on the log bang!! No finn needs to do his job. Finn did good he got it and brought it back to me!! Way to go Finn. 
    • MattL
      Lindy came along on our trip to Western MN for duck opener. The guys that came out Thursday to start scouting had a field lined up with alot of geese but they got busted off the roost early in a huge flock and didn't commit. We ended up with only 2 birds today.  She had to stay back in her crate during the hunt but got to play with a wing afterwards.