Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eyewinder

Nova question

10 posts in this topic

A 14-year-old who I hunt with just purchased (with his dad's help) his first new shotgun: a Benelli Nova. His first time shooting it was at clay targets with some $3.50/box Wal-Mart promotional shells.

The new Nova barely dented the shells' primers, and the majority of the shells failed to fire. But when run through an older Ithaca Model 37, the same shells (with the little dents in their primers) all fired and some even broke rocks.

Has anyone experienced similar problems with their Nova (or other Benelli shotgun model)?

I have had a Nova for four years. Never had any problems with it at all. The gun has been used hard(probably borderline abuse, but it is taken care of afterwords) and performs like a tank.

If it is new, take it back to where it was purchased. It should have a warranty.

An update, for those who are interested: I talked to the boy's father last night, and the retailer where the gun was purchased is doing everything right. They've offered another gun, or to refund purchase price.

From what little first-hand knowledge that I have of Benelli firearms, I was surprised with the apparent malfunction. I did find out the gun purchased was the retailer's last, and the display model. Perhaps it would have been wiser to insist on one NIB (new in box). I suppose that the display gun may have more of a history than even the salesperson might have been aware of. wink.gif

Thanks for the responses.

I've had my Nova now for 5 years for sure and have never had one misfire... I'd say it's something with the gun that was assembled incorrectly or a part that isn't right...

It's been a great gun for me...

marine_man

I wonder if they checked to make sure the magazine cap was screwed on tight?

I own two Nova's and they have never malfunctioned on me, even when they are used in very adverse conditions. It is a great gun, especially for the price.

Display model.... Broken firing pin from being dry fired by all the shoppers? I was told dry firing is hard on some guns. But that was back in the day.

JDM:

Your response made me curious. Would a loose (untightened) magazine cap cause the firing pin not to function properly?

I did tighten it down a bit with my fingers when checking the gun.

Thnx!

eyewinder

It actually wouldn't be the firing pin. If the magazine cap is even a little bit loose, your barrel, which contains the chamber, could slide forward just a lttle bit, which would be enough that the gun won't fire. I have seen this happen on pumps and have saved the day for many of my hunting partners with this fix. It is always worth checking if you are having this kind of problem, but it certainly could have still been a bad / broken firing pin. I have also seen that happen.

The gun (with the cap tightened) fired three of the shells this afternoon that had failed to fire when first tried Sunday. The firing pin is making a much nicer impression upon the primer(s) than before the cap was tightened.

The lad will hunt birds with his new gun this weekend to "field" test it.

Thanks for the suggestion! smile.gif

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Wanderer

Posted

I guess if you want it bad enough, you'll be there.

"Oral" auction might be the law when it comes to this type of sale.

At least one has most of the month of October to shop for recreational land.  Not like there's anything else going on this time of year! :grin:

Thanks for posting, Rick.  It might be worth looking at that list.

• HunterFisher11

Posted

Thanks for the info!!! Will be up there on 10/5-10/8, have been looking at the weather and I hope they are wrong because looks like rain... Have you ever tried fishing out on pike island area? Brother inlaw drove down there this summer and said there were quiet a few people fishing there.

• Minnesota motorists can support conservation with a new critical habitat plate featuring a wild turkey.
      The new plate displays a colorful tom turkey and is the ninth critical habitat plate offered. Other plates display a moose, loon, pheasant, chickadee, showy lady’s slipper, a fishing scene and two with white-tailed deer. There is also a specialty license plate for state parks and trails.

“Wild turkey restoration in Minnesota is one of our great conservation success stories,” said Kim Hennings, wildlife land acquisition coordinator. “The critical habitat plates are a great way for motorists to show their interest and support for Minnesota’s fish and wildlife resources.”

Wild turkeys are native to southeastern Minnesota, but disappeared by 1880 because of habitat loss and unregulated hunting. Successful reintroduction efforts starting in the 1970s led to turkeys now living over a wide range of Minnesota.

“The wild turkey critical habitat plate has been long awaited for by our membership in Minnesota and turkey hunting enthusiasts,” said Tom Glines, National Wild Turkey Federation regional director. “We love the wild turkey resource and want to do everything we can do to keep wild turkey populations healthy and thriving.”

The Minnesota Legislature created the critical habitat license plate program in 1995 to provide additional opportunity for Minnesotans to contribute toward conservation. Motorists who purchase a critical habitat plate pay a $10 initial fee, plus a minimum annual contribution of $30 to the Reinvest in Minnesota (RIM) program. Every dollar generated through the sale of the license plate is matched with private donations of cash or land. The annual $30 contribution is not tax deductible.

Critical habitat license plate revenue has generated more than $59 million to acquire or improve 22,000 acres of critical habitat and helped fund non-game wildlife research and surveys, habitat enhancement and educational programs. Information about the program and details about how to order plates are available on the DNR website at www.mndnr.gov/plates.

The new license plates are now available at deputy registrar offices statewide. For questions about ordering critical habitat license plates, call the Department of Public Safety-Driver and Vehicle Services at 612-297-3166.

Discuss below - to view set the hook here.

• The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources recently honored two youths for their outstanding conservation efforts during a ceremony at the 2016 Minnesota State Fair.

Eliza Sankovitz from Waseca in Waseca County received the 4-H award and Melissa Schilling from Frazee in Becker County received the Future Farmers of America (FFA) award.

The DNR Commissioner’s Youth Awards are given annually to an FFA student and 4-H member who have demonstrated initiative, leadership, creativity and achievement in conservation and wise use of natural and agricultural resources. This is the 25th year of the award program.

Curious about the quality of the water in Clear Lake, Eliza Sankovitz asked the question, “What pollutants might be entering the lake?” This was the beginning of Sankovitz’s 4-H project titled “How Clear is Clear Lake.” Sankovitz found three locations around Clear Lake and took water samples after rain events. She then tested the water samples for bacteria, nitrates, chlorine, lead and pesticides. Sankovitz said she did find some pollutants entering the lake.

Sankovitz is the daughter of Tom and Gretchen Sankovitz.

Schilling grew up on a farm in rural Becker County. As a member of her FFA Fish and Wildlife Management team, she placed as top individual multiple times at regional competitions. Schilling also placed first in her area and third at state in the Minnesota Senior Envirothon.

As a member of the Youth Conservation Corps, Schilling worked at the Tamarac National Wildlife Refuge. While on the job, she assisted with prairie restoration, bird surveys, goose banding, invasive species control and refuge facility maintenance. Schilling is currently enrolled at the University of Minnesota Crookston, and is pursuing a degree in wildlife management.

Schilling is the daughter of Charles and Regina Schilling.

Discuss below - to view set the hook here.

• BringAnExtension

Posted

11 hours ago, ZachD said:

I am sure Johnny P is all booked up on weekends by now and for some reason some of the guys don't like sleeper houses all though I may push for it this year last year was such a hassle packing everything up for the night loading the trucks having to bring sleds and wheelers. I much rather bring my flasher couple rods and lots of beer. I go fishing enough running and gunning its nice to have a break where you just show up and fish.

Yes, he probably is.  I book with him early.  I think that he offers guide service in December up until he opens the sleepers up.  Might align with your portables.

• I was on Namakan yesterday and kept 4 eyes 14" to 15" caught in under 20' of water. Water temp is 60. I was rigging with a half crawler. However, I had friends out using jigs and minnows in 40+ ft and they did well. He said he found a school and using his I Pilot just hovered over the top of them. So it seems the fish are scattered and all methods are working.

1 person likes this
    • monstermoose78

Posted

I hope this weekend is better than last!!  I know there is a  lot of ducks around but they have so many places to hide.

• If you want to stay away from the crowd I would suggest Beacon Harbor I think after jan 1st they don't allow day passes its only beacon harbor and outdoor authority who have houses there. Then they allow only a limited amount of yearly passes.

Now they don't have all the bells and whistles like a bar and food ect but John and Ann are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Not to mention I personally think it is some of the best.

Now if you needed a bar and food and all that my choices would be Rogers or Westwind

• fins_n'_feathers

Posted

Today was the complete opposite of yesterday. The current coming out of light house gap made a pocket of clear water out in the lake overnight, fished right on the edge of the muddy water in 14 feet of water and went through 3 bags of frozen shiners and caught a bunch on plastics after the minnows were gone. Nothing fantastic for size, only 3 in the slot but nice limits of 14-17 inchers and a ton of smaller fish. Once that muddy water gets blown out or clears up the bite is going to be crazy good!

1 person likes this
    • eyeguy 54

Posted

212 wondering the same thing maybe?? ;)   

• Wanderer
      I guess if you want it bad enough, you'll be there. "Oral" auction might be the law when it comes to this type of sale. At least one has most of the month of October to shop for recreational land.  Not like there's anything else going on this time of year!  Thanks for posting, Rick.  It might be worth looking at that list.
    • HunterFisher11
      Thanks for the info!!! Will be up there on 10/5-10/8, have been looking at the weather and I hope they are wrong because looks like rain... Have you ever tried fishing out on pike island area? Brother inlaw drove down there this summer and said there were quiet a few people fishing there.
    • Rick
      Minnesota motorists can support conservation with a new critical habitat plate featuring a wild turkey.
      The new plate displays a colorful tom turkey and is the ninth critical habitat plate offered. Other plates display a moose, loon, pheasant, chickadee, showy lady’s slipper, a fishing scene and two with white-tailed deer. There is also a specialty license plate for state parks and trails. “Wild turkey restoration in Minnesota is one of our great conservation success stories,” said Kim Hennings, wildlife land acquisition coordinator. “The critical habitat plates are a great way for motorists to show their interest and support for Minnesota’s fish and wildlife resources.” Wild turkeys are native to southeastern Minnesota, but disappeared by 1880 because of habitat loss and unregulated hunting. Successful reintroduction efforts starting in the 1970s led to turkeys now living over a wide range of Minnesota. “The wild turkey critical habitat plate has been long awaited for by our membership in Minnesota and turkey hunting enthusiasts,” said Tom Glines, National Wild Turkey Federation regional director. “We love the wild turkey resource and want to do everything we can do to keep wild turkey populations healthy and thriving.” The Minnesota Legislature created the critical habitat license plate program in 1995 to provide additional opportunity for Minnesotans to contribute toward conservation. Motorists who purchase a critical habitat plate pay a $10 initial fee, plus a minimum annual contribution of $30 to the Reinvest in Minnesota (RIM) program. Every dollar generated through the sale of the license plate is matched with private donations of cash or land. The annual $30 contribution is not tax deductible. Critical habitat license plate revenue has generated more than $59 million to acquire or improve 22,000 acres of critical habitat and helped fund non-game wildlife research and surveys, habitat enhancement and educational programs. Information about the program and details about how to order plates are available on the DNR website at www.mndnr.gov/plates. The new license plates are now available at deputy registrar offices statewide. For questions about ordering critical habitat license plates, call the Department of Public Safety-Driver and Vehicle Services at 612-297-3166. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources recently honored two youths for their outstanding conservation efforts during a ceremony at the 2016 Minnesota State Fair. Eliza Sankovitz from Waseca in Waseca County received the 4-H award and Melissa Schilling from Frazee in Becker County received the Future Farmers of America (FFA) award. The DNR Commissioner’s Youth Awards are given annually to an FFA student and 4-H member who have demonstrated initiative, leadership, creativity and achievement in conservation and wise use of natural and agricultural resources. This is the 25th year of the award program. Curious about the quality of the water in Clear Lake, Eliza Sankovitz asked the question, “What pollutants might be entering the lake?” This was the beginning of Sankovitz’s 4-H project titled “How Clear is Clear Lake.” Sankovitz found three locations around Clear Lake and took water samples after rain events. She then tested the water samples for bacteria, nitrates, chlorine, lead and pesticides. Sankovitz said she did find some pollutants entering the lake. Sankovitz is the daughter of Tom and Gretchen Sankovitz. Schilling grew up on a farm in rural Becker County. As a member of her FFA Fish and Wildlife Management team, she placed as top individual multiple times at regional competitions. Schilling also placed first in her area and third at state in the Minnesota Senior Envirothon. As a member of the Youth Conservation Corps, Schilling worked at the Tamarac National Wildlife Refuge. While on the job, she assisted with prairie restoration, bird surveys, goose banding, invasive species control and refuge facility maintenance. Schilling is currently enrolled at the University of Minnesota Crookston, and is pursuing a degree in wildlife management. Schilling is the daughter of Charles and Regina Schilling. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • BringAnExtension
      Yes, he probably is.  I book with him early.  I think that he offers guide service in December up until he opens the sleepers up.  Might align with your portables.