Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
anchor man

Semi-auto sticking-oil recommendation

24 posts in this topic

With the cooler temps. I'm having a problem with my Browning gold hunter sticking after the first shot and not fully chambering the second shell. I have a feeling I have a lot of junk and layers of oil Rem-oil caked in the mechanisms. Is there a good product to remove all the old oil and starting fresh with a thin coating of something new?

Thanks

I'm not a fan of the Browning Gold and don't know a whole lot about the mechanism, but even as a Remington guy I'll tell you to throw that Rem Oil away (or at least not use it on moving parts). Buy Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber and blast everything clean and let dry. Use LPS-1 (available in hardware sections) or a similar DRYING type lubricant that won't gum up in cool weather on the moving parts.

Good Luck. I know of some guys with Browning Golds that sold them because they jammed no matter what. Hopefully you don't have one that works like that!

Straight forward WD40.

I 2nd WD40 works wonders, I started using it on my semi-auto and have not had it lock up on me yet...

As you probably already know, you want to go easy when applying any aerosol (or other type) gun oil.

I've had good luck with Rem Oil, WD-40, Hoppe's, etc., by simply spraying (or pouring) oil on a cotton cloth and wiping it over exposed surfaces.

On less accessible areas of the gun's action, lightly mist with the aerosol, don't overspray.

Good luck! smile.gif

A guy I had out hunting this week has the same problem until we cleaned it very good and make sure you clean out the gas port with fine wire and then spray a light coat on of WD40. Not a problem after that. Gas port hole is very imp[ortant. CAJ

That gun is relatively easy to tear down (take barrel off and remove action pin/pull action out). I would tear it down and thoroughly clean the action and chamber areas.

Buy a can of Gun Scrubber and clean everything thoroughly. The solvent stinks, so don't do it inside your home. I have also used Carb Cleaner in a pinch with great results also.

IMO, WD-40 is not going to break down the oils, residues and gunk. Have tried that in a pinch and the problem re-occured fairly quickly.

Break-Free CLP seems to work OK for me, but I don't have the same gun.

Use WD-40.

I've never had a problem with Autos as I keep them clean and "lightly" lubed. Remember that too much lube attracts dirt.

I've been using Break-Free CLP. It is really slick, really thin, and dosen't seem to attract dirt.

This is from their site.

When the United States Military issued PD-48, a purchase description of properties for a single, multi-purpose product to maintain their weaponry, it became known as the "impossible specification" because of its severe requirements. The first product to meet the challenge - Break-Free CLP.

Break-Free's flagship product, CLP is a unique formulation of synthetic oils and individual proprietary ingredients which synergize in combination to do three important tasks simultaneously: Effectively Clean, Lubricate and Protect metal. After years of rigorous testing, CLP actually exceeded the Military's requirements and was approved as a product to meet MIL-L-63460, a new specification. Break-Free CLP is now recognized around the world as the standard by which maximum metal performance and protection is ensured.

* Penetrates and spreads along metal surfaces into every pit and crevice to undercut contamination and lift residue away where it can be removed.

* Long-lasting lubricating film dramatically reduces adhesion of sand, grit or other abrasives which cause wear and failure.

* Corrosion inhibitors prevent the formation of rust while Break-Free's unique boundary film protects metal surfaces from moisture and other contaminants.

* Specially formulated synthetic oils won't lose viscosity, dry out or stiffen up in extreme environments - such as cold, heat, dust, dirt, humidity and even salt air - keeping equipment in ready condition for months at a time.

Tear your gun down and clean everything well. Get rid of the Rem Oil.. that stuff is nothing but trouble in cold temperatures.

The key is keeping everything clean, and excess oil is a magnet for grime and it turns into sludge real quick when its cold out.

Clean your gun thouroughly.. dont miss anything. Try *Dry Slide* for a lubricant which is a graphite powder, or use a light coat of quality gun oil.. take your gun apart and clean it after every trip.

After having repaired many a gun, I would recommend giving the gun a GOOD cleaning, make sure the gas port is completely free of restriction, and use CLP to lube and maintaing your Browning between cleanings. As stated earlier, you should clean it after every use, but not everyone takes the time so CLP is a good back-up. WD-40 is not a good choice. I have seen to many guns with rusty barrels because someone told the owner to use it to help maintain the gun. It gun oils are designed to work with the blueing to protect the metals and WD-40 seems to break down the blueing. If you do not feel comfortable breaking the gun down and cleaning it, take it to a good gun smith in your area. It doesn't cost very much.

I had the same problem with my Gold Hunter.

The grease in the return spring in the stock is too heavy. When it's cold it gums up and the spring doesn't work as well.

You need to pull the spring out of the stock and clean it then apply a lighter lubricant.

Be carfull, the spring is under extreme pressure. I brought it to a gun smith to do it.

I still use my Gold Hunter but I make sure I have a back up just in case. It seems like there are too many just in cases with mine.

Good luck with your Gold Hunter. No disrespect, but your going to need it.

seems like i'm not the only one with the same problem. For me every rime i go thru a 1 1/2 boxes of shells (sooner in cold weather) i have to break my gun down and give it a thorough cleaning. Were exactly is the gas port on the GWH? maybe i'm not focusing enough on that. since i've tried just about everything else that was mentioned here including taking and cleaning the tension spring.

At duck camp there was some rem oil on the table were everyone was cleaning their guns so I put some on my bolt slides crazy.gif after the first 2 drops I said noway cleaned it out and used some hoppes. but it did work good on those squeaky oarlocks grin.gif

Rem Oil is excellent for storing the gun and protecting the finish. Its just not the type lube you want for the moving parts...

You may want to see if they make a heavier return spring.

I took mine in 2 years ago and had the spring replaced and the gas compensator spring replaced and haven't had any problems since.

Personally, I wouldn't use wd-40 anywhere near any of my guns. It might work for a while, but will hang on to all sorts of junk and eventually gum up the action.

I agree with the use of the break free, good stuff. I also had a small bottle of some lube called Tri-Flow that I really liked, but can't find anymore of it. Rem Lube I don't like, and Rem oil is good for non-moving parts.

Where do you guys get Break-Free at?

I got mine at Gander.

I don't know where to find it anymore since I still have the can that I bought years ago, but it is called Tri Flon and has microscopic teflon beads in it and it works great. I don't use it anymore because my Benelli doesn't have the problem with hanging up when it is cold. shocked.gifgrin.gifwink.gif

Lawdog is right that this gun is a sticky one. I own one for turkey hunting, and the rear spring that pushes the action forward can weaken over time. This is true especially if you store it with the action open.....nono!Might want to look into that.

I tend to have to break mine down and scrub, then re-oil with a light coat of the birchwood casey product at least once per turkey season.

Joel

Joel

TRITC,

I bought my Break Free at Wal-mart.

Believe it or not gasoline or white gas works realy well.Hunted with a guy for many years that used it to lube his 1100,never jamed no matter what type of load he used.Hunted in close to zero temps in late season duck hunts.At our buisness we have had to have some of our cnc machinery rebuilt,the guy that works on the machines allways uses white gas to to clean and at asembly.Says it does leave some lubricating film but is realy light.Burl.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• easyrider25

Posted

Looking for advice on keeping the dog focused and quiet in the duck boat.  Was out today and we shot enough ducks to keep her busy, however my dog is such a hyper hypo that it's a  little annoying.  Either whining or jumping back and forth from the front and back of the boat.  Do I just need to establish the expectation and keep on her till she finally gets it or is this how some dogs are in the boat? This is her 4th year duck hunting and she has continued to improve each season.  Overall I am happy with her work, especially with the limited amount of hunting I do.  We were out today for 3 hours, shot 8 birds and she did great on the retrieving end and is pretty much focused on the skies, but if something is not constantly dropping from them I feel like I have a screaming baby on my hands.  It's not really that bad, just very annoying.   I would just like her to sit in her spot, stare at the skies and wait for my command.  Is this to much to ask?

• On 9/24/2016 at 3:30 PM, ZachD said:

she's getting big

She's up to 38 pounds at a few days short of 5 months and does not stop going 100 mph. She got exposed to a lot of feathers this weekend at duck camp. She retrieved dead ducks and geese in the yard after our hunts. The goose was a bit big so I chopped a wing off and worked with that after she picked it up and barely made it back a short distance to me. 

1 person likes this
    • delcecchi

Posted

Maybe that is how they can stay in business 

• flagislanddan

Posted

Fishing Report from Flag Island Resort Lake of the Woods, Northwest Angle 9/25/16

Happy Fall!

On the Minnesota side fishing has been great around Soldier’s and Mergan’s Point. Most points have been producing fish as well as bays due to shiners moving into the bays. Raps and spinners have been successful as well as 3/8 ounce jigs with the jig bite turning back on. Shiners, crawlers and fatheads have all been attracting the fish. The magic depth has been between 8 and 18 feet. The duck and goose opener has been successful with many resident birds still around we have not seen any signs of northern birds in the area. There have been many Woodducks and Mallards around.

Over on the Ontario side the Walleye bite has been great and the Crappies are picking up. Anglers have been targeting fall spots and jigging in 18-28 feet of water. Emerald shiners are on the move to spawn so watch for them in channels and bays with creeks. The water temp is cooling down and is approximately at 62 degrees. Trolling for Muskies in 10-18 feet has also been good.

The leaves are starting to change colors and there is definitely a chill in the air but, there is still plenty of time to get in on some wonderful fall fishing. The best part about fall fishing is some of the great wildlife you get to see out and about. Also, it is a good time to start thinking about your winter ice fishing trip, we would love to have you as our guest!

Until next week, good luck fishing!

Guides Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Devin Rau

Flag Island Resort

218-223-8011

14352408_10154027624047635_3217819021999145477_o.jpg

14372283_10154027624017635_7564426901939642848_o.jpg

14463040_10154032392587635_7055875993614459489_n.jpg

• flagislanddan

Posted

Fishing Report from Flag Island Resort Lake of the Woods, Northwest Angle 9/26/16

Happy Fall!

On the Minnesota side fishing has been great around Soldier’s and Mergan’s Point. Most points have been producing fish as well as bays due to shiners moving into the bays. Raps and spinners have been successful as well as 3/8 ounce jigs with the jig bite turning back on. Shiners, crawlers and fatheads have all been attracting the fish. The magic depth has been between 8 and 18 feet. The duck and goose opener has been successful with many resident birds still around we have not seen any signs of northern birds in the area. There have been many Woodducks and Mallards around.

Over on the Ontario side the Walleye bite has been great and the Crappies are picking up. Anglers have been targeting fall spots and jigging in 18-28 feet of water. Emerald shiners are on the move to spawn so watch for them in channels and bays with creeks. The water temp is cooling down and is approximately at 62 degrees. Trolling for Muskies in 10-18 feet has also been good.

The leaves are starting to change colors and there is definitely a chill in the air but, there is still plenty of time to get in on some wonderful fall fishing. The best part about fall fishing is some of the great wildlife you get to see out and about. Also, it is a good time to start thinking about your winter ice fishing trip, we would love to have you as our guest!

Until next week, good luck fishing!

Guides Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Devin Rau

Flag Island Resort

218-223-8011

14352408_10154027624047635_3217819021999145477_o.jpg

14372283_10154027624017635_7564426901939642848_o.jpg

14463040_10154032392587635_7055875993614459489_n.jpg

• perry p

Posted (edited)

Thanks Workin, Bart and especially Jim for the replies. My family really enjoys fishing on Clearwater lake.

Edited by perry p
      Misspell
    • muskie-mike

Posted

Good walleye bite on leadcore..40 walleyes in 25-28 ft of water,mid lake..None over 16 inches...

• JBMasterAngler

Posted

First time up in Brainerd in 3 years. Went to big trout on Friday, thinking it would be a guarantee (which it usually is). Nope! Not even the rock bass were hitting! Only ended up with a couple pike and a couple largemouths. The inspector at the boat launch was showing me some pics of a couple lake trout this one guy had caught a few days earlier, a 34 and 36 incher! Saturday we were going to fish gull, but it was jam packed with people! Was there a tournament going on? Ended up at a secret little lake where my wife caught bass and pike one right after the other, while I couldn't get a bite to save my life! Was good to be back up there after a 3 year absence. Hopefully I'll find the time to get up there again.

• Cliff Wagenbach

Posted

Very nice walleye no matter how the picture came out! Do not see many of those each year!

We ended up keeping 9 walleyes and releasing 3 slot fish between 19" and 23".

Cliff

• LBerquist

Posted

Here's the proof of the 28" I told you about today cliff. Unfortunately this picture doesn't make this fish out to be nearly as impressive as she was in person. I'm gonna need to work on my selfie skills.

20160925_104541.jpg

2 people like this

• easyrider25
      Looking for advice on keeping the dog focused and quiet in the duck boat.  Was out today and we shot enough ducks to keep her busy, however my dog is such a hyper hypo that it's a  little annoying.  Either whining or jumping back and forth from the front and back of the boat.  Do I just need to establish the expectation and keep on her till she finally gets it or is this how some dogs are in the boat? This is her 4th year duck hunting and she has continued to improve each season.  Overall I am happy with her work, especially with the limited amount of hunting I do.  We were out today for 3 hours, shot 8 birds and she did great on the retrieving end and is pretty much focused on the skies, but if something is not constantly dropping from them I feel like I have a screaming baby on my hands.  It's not really that bad, just very annoying.   I would just like her to sit in her spot, stare at the skies and wait for my command.  Is this to much to ask?
    • MattL
      She's up to 38 pounds at a few days short of 5 months and does not stop going 100 mph. She got exposed to a lot of feathers this weekend at duck camp. She retrieved dead ducks and geese in the yard after our hunts. The goose was a bit big so I chopped a wing off and worked with that after she picked it up and barely made it back a short distance to me. 
    • delcecchi
      Maybe that is how they can stay in business 
    • flagislanddan
      Fishing Report from Flag Island Resort Lake of the Woods, Northwest Angle 9/25/16   Happy Fall!   On the Minnesota side fishing has been great around Soldier’s and Mergan’s Point. Most points have been producing fish as well as bays due to shiners moving into the bays. Raps and spinners have been successful as well as 3/8 ounce jigs with the jig bite turning back on. Shiners, crawlers and fatheads have all been attracting the fish. The magic depth has been between 8 and 18 feet. The duck and goose opener has been successful with many resident birds still around we have not seen any signs of northern birds in the area. There have been many Woodducks and Mallards around.   Over on the Ontario side the Walleye bite has been great and the Crappies are picking up. Anglers have been targeting fall spots and jigging in 18-28 feet of water. Emerald shiners are on the move to spawn so watch for them in channels and bays with creeks. The water temp is cooling down and is approximately at 62 degrees. Trolling for Muskies in 10-18 feet has also been good.   The leaves are starting to change colors and there is definitely a chill in the air but, there is still plenty of time to get in on some wonderful fall fishing. The best part about fall fishing is some of the great wildlife you get to see out and about. Also, it is a good time to start thinking about your winter ice fishing trip, we would love to have you as our guest!   Until next week, good luck fishing! Guides Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Devin Rau   Flag Island Resort 218-223-8011  
    • flagislanddan
      Fishing Report from Flag Island Resort Lake of the Woods, Northwest Angle 9/26/16   Happy Fall!   On the Minnesota side fishing has been great around Soldier’s and Mergan’s Point. Most points have been producing fish as well as bays due to shiners moving into the bays. Raps and spinners have been successful as well as 3/8 ounce jigs with the jig bite turning back on. Shiners, crawlers and fatheads have all been attracting the fish. The magic depth has been between 8 and 18 feet. The duck and goose opener has been successful with many resident birds still around we have not seen any signs of northern birds in the area. There have been many Woodducks and Mallards around.   Over on the Ontario side the Walleye bite has been great and the Crappies are picking up. Anglers have been targeting fall spots and jigging in 18-28 feet of water. Emerald shiners are on the move to spawn so watch for them in channels and bays with creeks. The water temp is cooling down and is approximately at 62 degrees. Trolling for Muskies in 10-18 feet has also been good.   The leaves are starting to change colors and there is definitely a chill in the air but, there is still plenty of time to get in on some wonderful fall fishing. The best part about fall fishing is some of the great wildlife you get to see out and about. Also, it is a good time to start thinking about your winter ice fishing trip, we would love to have you as our guest!   Until next week, good luck fishing! Guides Dan Schmidt, Jeremy Glessing and Devin Rau   Flag Island Resort 218-223-8011