Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ducks and Fish

How late do they bite?

12 posts in this topic

This is my first fall spending time targeting smallmouth and was wondering how late in the fall they will bite. They sure have slowed down for me, but I still caught a few in 4 hours Saturday. All four were smaller ones (less than 14"). I don't know if the smaller ones are more aggressive, or I am not in the right spots for the big boys. I was using tubes and plastics.

After 55 degree water temp's the smallie's will start moving down river to their wintering holes and bunch up. With the water temp's below 50 degrees you might want to slow the presentation down to dragging jig type baits along the bottom in these wintering area's. I do this every fall north of the Sartell dam and have great success with 40-50 smallies in an afternoon per guy attainable. This will continue until it is too cold to stand it anymore or the ice forms.

Ditto, I have a lot of luck dragging jigs and plastics along the bottom. As Tim stated, the bite can last as long as you can! Good Luck!!!

Thanks for the input, I'll see how late in the season I can make it out. I have taken to wading in my duck hunting waders, which are insulated, since I am putting my boat in storage this week. I think the key will be to find holes that I can reach by wading, it sounds like that is where the fish will be holding.

Quote:

After 55 degree water temp's the smallie's will start moving down river to their wintering holes and bunch up. With the water temp's below 50 degrees you might want to slow the presentation down to dragging jig type baits along the bottom in these wintering area's. I do this every fall north of the Sartell dam and have great success with 40-50 smallies in an afternoon per guy attainable. This will continue until it is too cold to stand it anymore or the ice forms.

Tim, while most is true.... the telemetry study also found they move UPstream as well.. So don't limit yourself.... grin.gif

Anybody getting out on the river for smallies or walleyes? Are things frozen up with these temperatures? What is the depth range? I've always wanted to try it but haven't gotten up that way.

Pounded some nice 'eyes on the river this winter. Haven't been able to get out as of late but plan to this weekend. Nothing better

How Late Do They Bite? 2 a.m.

Quote:

Man, I wish I could catch 40 to 50 in a day. I can only get 1 or 2. grin.gif

lowlight periods...dusk is usually quite good

What do ya mean how late do they bite? They bite as long as im fishin for em. But as of now its cold and they are gettin a break