Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Summary Of My Week-end

10 posts in this topic

So this week-end my dad and I planned on going hunting EARLY Saturday morning. We were to go squirrel hunting and look for deer stand placements for this coming week's deer opener. smirk.gif

Anyways, I didn't get to bed til late Friday night. frown.gif I couldn't sleep. crazy.gif Finally, at 1am, I was able to sleep. crazy.gif As soon as I closed my eyes, my dad knocks on the door and says "Time to get up, lets go!". I was so tired but got up anyways. frown.gif I slept in the truck while dad drove, the truck is not the most comfortable place to try to sleep. My mom went with also. So we get there at like 5 in the morning. I slept some more because I didn;t trust my dad driving so I couldn't sleep soundly on the way there.. grin.gif

Time To Go Hunt

So then 6:00am came around and dad was like "Ok, lets go". I said to him, you and mom go, I'll sleep for a little bit more then will make my way through the forest. Dad says to me, well, if you're going to sleep, might as well not even come hunt and just wait for us to get back to the truck so we can look for deer stands. I was annoyed now mad.gifso I just kept my mouth shut and went to sleep. So anyways, 1 hour goes by and I decided, heck, might as well go hunt.. So I got out of the truck and went hunting.

I slowly walked through the forest, stopping and listening to sounds and just enjoying the peace and quite. wink.gif I just happen to look to my right accross the valley and sure enough, there goes a Fox Squirrel. He was moving pretty fast as I think he might have seen me. He stopped for a second, I raised my 20ga and fired. It was a good 50 yard shot. haha.. He dropped. I went and picked him up, put him into my backpack and off I went.. I kept walking and enjoying my surrounding. All of a sudden, I came upon what looked like a squirrel on a tree limb but the darn thing didn't move. I looked, looked again and then pointed my 20 gauage at it, shot. Nothing. The gun didn't go off. I checked the shotgun, checked the chambers, everything looked fine. Pointed the shotgun, click, gun doesn't go off. So at this point, the squirrel was still just sitting there and not moving. I could swear it was a squirrel because of the tail but this thing is just huge but it wasn't moving! So at this point, I was kind of spooked because my gun was working fine earlier. So I unloaded the gun, reloaded the shells. Took aim and shot. I see all the leaves and tree barks around the squirrel flying but the squirrel just sat there..... Then, out of nowhere, he falls down. This was all but a 20 yard shot.. SO I walked up and the squirrel is there dead, laying on his back and here I see the biggest set of balls I've ever seen on a squirrel!!! grin.gifI looked and I shot him on the back. I think he was too busy check out the other squirrels.. haha.. So anyways, to make a long story short, I managed to bag 2 squirrels and missed 2 more.. The two that I missed, I used about 12 shells.. The oak trees are still thick with leaves so that was why the misses.. Anyways back at the truck, my dad goes to lecture me about how he didn;t see any squirrels and why I was shooting so much. I had to tell him the story, then showed him the well hung squirrel.. haha.. For all you interested hunters, I didn't bring my camera with me so I didnt get a picture of it grin.gif

The end.

Are you serious? Squirrel hunting the weekend before deer opener? I guess that isn't something I'd do...

Why not?

Squirrel hunting the weekend before deer opener? I guess that isn't something I'd do...

Guess I don't see a problem with that either.

I'm not the best hunter.. but all the shooting may or may not push the deer into more noctournal movements... I too would not do the squirl hunt the week before deer open.

I suppose that might happen. I guess it really depends how much activity the woods gets the rest of the year. If there are always people there I doubt it will affect it much. If the only time anyone there is hunting then I could see it happening more.

I know where I rifle hunt there is not much pressure before the season opens.Once the guns start to roar on opening day,the deer get awfull jumpy.I would not do that where I deer hunt,but that is just me as I like my deer hunting too much to take a chance like that and maybe screw it all up.

I would say if you want squirrels,then hunt them.If you want deer,then I would squirrel hunt elsewhere.

We've always done this in the past and we've gotten deer every year. laugh.gif

Don't write any childrens books. grin.gif

Quote:

Don't write any childrens books.
grin.gif

haha. I'll keep that in mind grin.gif

"Mommy, whats a nut"? Mommy explains to son "Its what squirrels eat son" haha grin.gif