Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ryoushi

mtor oil

7 posts in this topic

I changed the oil in my outboard at the beginning of the season. I checked it the other day and it is way high. Is it possible there is water in it? If so, I can't tell because it is not milky.

Try pulling the oil drain plug and see what comes out. Water will settle to the bottom and come out before the oil. Synthetic oils don't mix with water as readily as conventional oils and usually don't get milky unless run for quite awhile. If you have gas mixed in with the oil you will smell it easy enough.

It is a good practice to replace oil at end of season as part of "winterizing" your boat, as might as well change yours so you won't have any problem. If any moisture is trapped inside case it will freeze during winter, expand and crack case open.

You don't want this to happen.

As mechanicttim said take drain plug off and check if water comes out first.

I'm assuming you're talking about engine oil in a 4 stroke. I have heard that some engines will "make oil". What is actually happening is that fuel is getting into the oil somehow.

This happened to me with my Yamaha 4 stroke. I filled it to the correct level but after I ran it for a day it came up high. I just drained some and I was ok. I think it could be a expansion thing?

Like mentioned earlier, I think its gas getting into the crank.

If there is that much gasoline getting into the crank to visibly raise the oil level, that sounds a bit excessive to me and possibly pointing to more major problems?

Bob