Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dan Thiem

Foster's

6 posts in this topic

Yesterday I took a trip to Rochester to watch a football game. On the way home I detoured to Foster's. I walked around the whole thing and talked to a few people fishing. Almost all them were doing well with a few Rainbows on stringers. Mostly the 10-12 inchers. One guy had a 15" too.

But the majority of the fish being caught were by using a float. Seems the depth set on the cork was only a couple feet below the surface. Minnows or worms (no crawlers) seemed to be the ticket.

Casting any sort of lure got to be very bogus because of the weird looking weeds that are growing in there. Kind of like a mushy cloudy looking stuff. The stuff grows along the shore all the way around the lake. Some of it floats on the surface too.

Quote:

Kind of like a mushy cloudy looking stuff.

I remember the gooey weeds quite well. Must be some sort of algae. It reminds me of the creature from the blue lagoon...

I'll have to find my way down there one of these days when you guys are doing the annual foster's cleanup.... always sounds like a fun time.

According to the Post Bulletin (Sat Oct 28 page 7A) Photo caption of Backhoe stuck in Zumbro River. "Mud removed from the river is being used to fill deep areas at Foster-Arend lake." More nutrients for the weeds? The weeds are really bad as it is.

Does anybody know why they would be dumping that muck in the deep holes at Fosters?What purpose does it serve?

Just curious. confused.gif

went out today and fished the zumbro river with nate larson..no luck, then headed to fosters for a bit, also no luck and way way way way way too much weeds to even think about throwing a lure out into. the weeds looked like they were hungry, so i didnt get too close wink.gif

RugbyGuy and I fished Fosters on Saturday. We walked around the lake and casted spinners and raps where we could stay above the weeds. Andy caught 1 largie 9"er or so.

Just like Dan said, those folks that were fishing minnows under a float had a few fish on the stringer. We saw a few fish in the 13-15" slot and the rest were smaller. We did spot several trout in the shallows, just cruising above the weeds, but we couldn't get them to bite, or we spooked them.