Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wannabeinely

Big Thanks to some Ely Locals

11 posts in this topic

I came up to Ely by myself to do some grouse hunting this afternoon and was going to hunt by Brimson and Two Harbors tomorrow morning on the way home. I got something much bigger than what I was looking for, a moose. Traveling down HWY 1 today I hit a moose. I was very shooken up and the first two vehicles that came by stopped imediately and helped calm my nerves and helped with the moose. After they left and I was by myself with hazzards on, the next vehicle stopped to see if I needed any help and they didn't even see the moose down in the ditch. 3 for 3 with good samaritans! I just wanted to give some recognition to the nice people of Ely. Thanks smile.gif

where on hwy 1 did you hit the moose?

7.5 miles south of the Kawashiwi River bridge.

Wannabe, glad to hear your alright. It sure makes a difference out there on those back arrowhead roads when folks take the time to make sure all is allright.

Kudos to the good samaritans that took their time to check in on you.

Good to hear your ok, Also good to know there are still good people out there after my experience on the Gunflint.

wannabeinely, glad you made out of the ordeal with no injuries. I've seen a few cases where the moose ended up completely inside the car. That doesn't leave mush room for the occupants.

Thanks for the words guys. I feel very fortunate to have come away from this unhurt. She came up onto the road at just the right angle so when the corner of the bumper hit her legs she spun and her side hit the side of my vehicle instead of coming up on the hood and into the windshield. I've heard of people having a much worse fate after hitting a moose.

I was at Lac Seul one year and this guy had a big hole in the fender of his one ton with dualies. I asked him how that happened and he said a he hit a moose traveling up 507. The funny part was they hadn't seen the moose, just heard the thump. When they got out to check what the problem was they saw a large shape in the moonlight a ways back. They started slowly towards it and it got up snorted and ran into the brush. He said he was a pair of shorts short for the week after that. grin.gif

Glad to hear you're o.k. as well.

How did it taste?

School teacher shocked.gif

Quote:

School teacher
shocked.gif

Yep laugh.gif I think you know the person across the hall from me.