• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Where Everyone going Opening Day Spearing?

bassNspear

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bassNspear

• Central Bassman

• Early Riser

• muskiemachinery

I have every right to address what I consider to be misinformation on a Muskie/Pike site not matter what the thread title and will continue. Your one-sided rationale is fine for your muskytroubles site but I for one will offer my opinion when I feel it's appropriate. Your not just preaching to your own choir here ya know.

Just because my handle is Muskiemachinery doesn't mean I don't like to fish big Pike. Actually I'm a more than a little tired of having to go to the far-wilds of Canada or Europe to catch decent Pike if you want to know the truth. It seems more than a little coincidental that both areas mentioned above consider Pike as a sportfish and practice C&R almost religiously.

"I have every right to address misinformation"

So do I, I even hold the ability to lock this topic if myself or other moderators feel it contains bickering, negative tones, ax grindings or trolls. (I've never met a troll) wink.gif

Keep it civil and respectful. Some good points have been brought up and some very interesting opinions although not very many have discussed where they are going for opener.

I was planning on hitting Red Lake for first ice pike but the wind ruined that plan and my ice.

Yes all pike from 26"-40" must be released and only one fish over 40" may be in possesion.

Link to the online reg book, page 24.

Reg book

Not sure why people are talking about fishing through the ice for anything when it's gonna be 60 degrees here tomorrow! Open water season continues. Hopefully it will be like last year and very little ice. Then we can fish into December!

Gotta love mother nature.

Steve

Quote:

Not sure why people are talking about fishing through the ice for anything when it's gonna be 60 degrees here tomorrow! Open water season continues. Hopefully it will be like last year and very little ice. Then we can fish into December!

Gotta love mother nature.

Steve

Oh yeah now your talking, keep on floating that boat

muskiemachinery Stop crying... We loving doing it and just because u dont like doesnt me we are goin to stop it..

Hey Jon is red clean enought to spear??? I wouldnt mind goin yup there also??

I'm cryin for all the folks that don't get an opportunity to experience the thrill of catching big Pike in Mn. anymore because you guys won't evolve or even consider elevating Pike above simple table fare. Harvesting the cream of the crop every Dec. when they are most vulnerable has left us with hammerhandle heaven. Someone has to tell like it really is. Even your cronies admit seeing the reduction in size of Pike EVERY year. I don't think it's fair to the rest of the fisherman in this State, it's as simple as that.

Remeber that there is a limit of one 30" fish per day on all lakes and many lakes have slots. Some lakes have a spearing ban. I think that we can manage our lakes for all, including spearfishers and anglers. In the not so distant past some anglers and spearfishers were guilty of taking the biggest fish, hopefully we are all evolving past that mentality.

Early Riser:

Thank you for a very well wrote post. I think you're right! After all 10,000 lakes I would think that anglers and spearers could find enough common ground that both could take place and not create such a difference of opinions.

Thanks Dan. After reading all these posts and feeling the passion for our respective sports going both ways, I am really opptimistic that we can find some common ground here that will better our resources and ourselves as sportsmen and women.

In the end it looks like a fundamental difference in how we use or value our resources.

For some the resource is there to be consumed. This has been thoughout time the predominant, and I would say until recently, the only ethic out there.

For others, and this is clearly a growing minority, the resources we have are to be enjoyed yes, but not consumed. Hence "catch and release", "leave no trace", "shoot photo's not bullets", etc.

Unfortunately, as with any new and emerging ethic, there are those who will, justly or unjustly, feel threatened by it. Conversely, there will be individuals within the new ethic who feel the need to challenge the "old gaurd". (I could be said to fll into this catagory.)

I am sure there is a middle ground on this issue. I will say personally I just don't like it nor do I think it qualifies as a sport, or is in any way sporting.

That is just me.

What I really would be interested in is a demographic survey of it's proponents and opponents.

I am wondering, is spearing a form of fishing? Is Dynamite a form of fishing? Is anything designed to harvest fish a form of fishing? And its all good right?

Steve

Spearing has to be a form of fishing. You have to have the talet to be able to place the house in the right place, set everything up the way it should be, and have the ablity to throw the spear in the rioght aspect to hit the fish.

A horse walks into a bar and orders a drink. The bartender takes a look at him and says, “Hey buddy, why the long face?”

MetroSteve, The best resource out there that explores the demographics and other research based statistical data on darkhouse spearing is the book: "Darkhouse Spearing" by Jay Leitch. Dr. Leitch is a professor at NDSU. His book is in it's second printing and is highly recommended to anyone who wants more information about winter darkhouse spearing.

I do not consider spearing to be fishing. I consider it to be hunting for fish. Probably a small difference but a distinct one.

Spearing- Scouting, prepping, decoying, picking your target, throwing, eating.

Fishing- Scouting, prepping, hoping a reasonable target decides to entertain your bait, deciding whether or not to eat the target that randomly chose your bait.

The difference is really that I can chose to kill my target or not while spearing, just like I choose what deer to shoot, what ducks I want to shoot, and what pheasants to shoot all based on what I want to eat or mount. A fisherman does not choose what they catch, they can only decide if they want to keep whatever bites.

I can guarantee that even a conservationist that thows everything back has killed more fish accidentally then I have acidentally killed with my spear.

As a side note:

I will be spearing near Paynesville MN on one of the lakes around there but most likely not on opener since we won't have any ice!

You can look at it alot of different ways. Its kinda like hunting, but yet it does take some skill to the game of spearing. Ill be out in the central part of Minnesota.

Wow that is some guarantee. So according to you a total C&R angler suffers a high mortality rate than a spearer? That is an excellent example of what I consider to be misinformation on this thread.