• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Where Everyone going Opening Day Spearing?

bassNspear

Your right about getting hot in the house,thats agood time to open the door and get some fresh air!For cooking I use a wok.(chinese frying pan)with a metal rack off an old mr heater to put under it if it gets to hot! Dont forget the onions and garlic!! smile.gif

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bassNspear

• Central Bassman

• Early Riser

• muskiemachinery

Did anyone happen to get out today?? What a beautiful day!!

All day long I was regretting not having bailed out on work. I saw it coming and in hindsight I wish I had pulled the trigger and taken th eday off.

Hopefully this little cold front won't affect things too much tomorrow. Oh well, best time to fish is still "whenever you get the chance".

~T

Stiff, if you would have bailed on work, you would have missed that thrilling meeting!

I did get out on Friday. I ended up seeing three pike - all around 24-26". I took one for eating along with some sunfish I enticed with waxies. Our son really wanted me to nab some sunnies - his favorite eating fish - so I was only too happy to oblige. I also saw several walleyes, one of which shot through a school of perch on the bottom. It was through the school of fish before they could all scatter, so I am pretty sure it caught one of them. Then there was the huge bass that hung around my decoy for a couple minutes. I swear that thing was over 5 pounds easily. I have a 7 lb on the wall and this one was close to it in length and girth. She was beaufully colored and quite gracefull in her manouvers around the minnow. It didn't want anything to do with the wax worm but seemed halfhartedly interested in a 7-8" sucker minnow. Good viewing today even if the pike were not moving as well as I thought they would be.

Im sure it was a great time. The best part is, you seen fish all day. It gets very old when you dont see anything tongue.gif

Yeah I would have missed the meeting, but after thorough consideration, I would have been OK with that. grin.gif Just the price that must be paid sometimes.

I got out on Green Lake today and had a lot of the same type of action that Early Riser had – lot’s of panfish and a good number of bass. Two smaller pike came to the decoys and each of them had their day end rather abruptly – and badly as far as they were concerned. They are now in training for new careers in the food service business as pickle experts.

The water wasn’t very clear and it made seeing fish really hard. If they weren't right in the hole - forget it! One had the decoy in his mouth before I could even get ready. blush.gif

Even if there was a good number of fish, I think I’ll be trying some place new next time. I just like being able to see more near the bottom and around the hole than I was able to do today. Quite a few fish came through low that I couldn’t identify clearly. I think they were mainly (or all) bass.

One other pretty cool thing I did today was to fish a chubby darter at times in place of the fake decoy. I really liked being able to see the action on the chubby and how the fish would react to it. It also resulted in 3 bonus bass that were released, and two crappies that weren’t quite so lucky, but were very tasty.

grin.gif

~T

Those bass were about 1 1/2 - 2 lbs. I saw a few other that were bigger - maybe 3lbs or so.

Hey, I aslo took your advice and cut some carpet to fit the inside of my portable. I must say - that was a good suggestion. Thanks much.

Best thign you can do is add carpet to it. I have done that for years, and i will always do it. Makes the house alot warmer, and helps with you feet off the ice.

• 10 months later...

My friend posted a picture with a pike on the spear in the photo section how was that picture deleted when these are still on the forum. I just think that most spearers like to see the actual photos as they truly are. I actually like to see the pictures of fish on the spear like they have them on this topic.

i dont see anything wrong with it, becuase that is what the sport is about. I just dont want to see pictures that will get out of hand.