Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Walli1

Fishin 28th

14 posts in this topic

Alright it that time again to start getting pumped up for the morning fishing trip. Everything has been check and its a go. I'm going to have to turn it up a notch, my real fishing partner down to take on the river this weekend, last time he was down to take on the river we got a box full of tails in no time. Hopefully we'll be blessed with another full box and a great outing, I'm sure it will be alot of fun! grin.gif

love to hear how it goes today! I'm out of town until tonight and am planning on heading out tomorrow. Any thoughts as to time of day for the best bite? I probably won't get out early - more likely I'll be out for the 'late day' bite.

Was out on the river today from 6:30 to 1:00. Had a few hits in the morning fishing black bass bar and then just north of the Kinni in 15-25' but did not hook anything! Everyone we talked to had not hooked any fish nor did we see anyone land a fish. We later fished the WI side across from the bluffs landing and caught 2 decent smallies in 20' of water and 1 white bass. We missed a couple more fish in this area also.

We were using 3/8 oz pink/red glow fireball jigs with redtails and fatheads.

Did anyone get into them today? Are there any other areas I should focus on? Wali1 I tried the spot you mentioned by black bass bar but couldn't find any fish. I use my vexilar with my foot-controlled trolling motor for precise boat control. I was the only boat on black bass in the morning....

Well I'd like to say we put a hurtin on them but It didn't happen, ended up with one nice sauger for the effort and a couple smallies, one drum and a mud cat, fish were on spots but not very hungry just seem to play with the bait, sure missed alot, I'll be on the river again in the morning! grin.gif

Fished from 6:30 to about 11:30 from just north of Prescot up to the Kinni, not one fish. Most everyone said about the same. We were the Lund Mr. Pike with Suzuki 140. Maybe next week.

Got on the river around 7, launched out of the buffs this morning, caught a mixed bag today, smallies, sheeps and walleyes, gold color jig heads were the ticket, ended up with five nice eyes to keep and missed a very sad amount! Hit several different spots, one area sat on top of a school and worked vertical for a couple hours picking one up every once in a while, since I knew they were eyes I just kept working them and it slowly payed off!

I guess I wasn't the only one who got skunked. I haven't been skunked at the Croix for a while but today was the day. Launched out of the Bluff and fished from 9-2 with no bites. I tried everything, three way, vertical, still, but nothing worked frown.gif And to top it off, the headlight was left on, so the truck didn't start. I just want to thank the person that jump started me again, THANK YOU. You made my bad luck day a little better because the day would have been worst. Stay safe and good luck yalls

Whats it gonna take for the eye bite to turn on here??? I keep hearing stories of these fish that bite like there is no tomorrow this time of year...

The river this fall is strange, years past soon as the water hits the magic number(50)its on and the numbers of fish a person can boat it are high, I know the fish I cleaned today were full of shad, just to much bait fish around but their still catchable just takes a less aggressive approach and lighter line and jig head,I fish 4lb crystal fire line and a 1/4 oz gold jig and outfished my partner who was fishing 8lb mono and 3/8 gold jig in the same boat, line and weight make alot of difference, its easier for the fish to inhail the lighter jig and line when there not very aggressive. I will of course be on the river again next saturday and sunday like always

I think walli hit the nail in the head. I noticed on my fish finder that everytime I see fish they were following a group of bait fish or they were already in the group, attacking it. I think that explains one of the reasons why walleyes are not biting like other years. The wallys don't need to eat our minnows when they have a school of shad confused.gif

I didn't get out this weekend. I was a bit upset yesterday when things didn't fall into place but after reading the posts, sounds like I didn't miss much.

I'm surprised the shad die-off hasn't kicked in yet... my worry is that there is soooo much food available for the eyes and saugers that the bite will stay minimal for quite some time. As Walli suggests, keep the presentation subtle and slow! Finesse will be the key.

The light line/light jig approach is correct for this fall or anytime really. The river trolling bite is also very good right now. The morning is best but this time of year the bite will hold all day long if you are on the fish. I like shallow (Under 15 feet) for Eyes and deeper water (20 - 30 feet) for Saug's. Prescott will turn on this weekend depending on the weather. The water temp is right for that bite to get going! I have noticed that it takes a steady hand a few inches off the bottom this fall so far to trigger a bite. You see alot of people going crazy with the jigs. That's ok during an aggressive bite but this is not that type of fall so far. See you on the water!

walli1, Your not going dear hunting with your bros? I have to work saturday. so I may hit the river myself. The lakes are in mix-up mode, fishing been slow with only 1-2 eyes if your can find them.

Hey Cuz, I hav'nt even got around to getting ready for hunting, once again the river is taking up all my free time but hey it's been fun and really tough sometimes to put the eyes in the boat, over all this year so far has been above average in the fish count, last year the fall fishing was unreal, I believe I caught more fish in the last month and a half then I did almost all year grin.gif , thats alot of fish! grin.gif