Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ryan0531

Looking for a good cheap resort

7 posts in this topic

I am planning a trip to Cass lake next year and was looking for a cheap resort with minimal ammenities. Don't need anything fancy just a bed and access to the lake. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ryan

Hey Ryan,

Not enough details to help ya out there. Define cheap, define your experience fishing Cass, define the number in your party, define are you bringing a boat, define time of yr for your trip......

Anyway, I can only suggest you get on the 'net and check out the Cass Lake Chamber of Commerce and start searching resort websites. I have done much searching over the yrs and amenities keep us coming back to our same resort regardless of price. But then again we are trying to keep our whole group happy. If I was alone, it might be diff.

If you have a boat and just need a bed, why not check out some motel nearby? But staying at a resort gives you the chance to talk with other fishermen which can always help make or break a trip.

PS Good and cheap don't usually seem to be an easy combo to find for me. Good luck with your search.

Chippewa Paws on Cass Lake has inexpensive motel rooms over their restaurant (which is excellent, by the way) if you don't need a large space. They are modern and clean. If you need more room they also have moderately priced cabins. They have a nice long dock and are near good fishing.

If you do decide on Chippawa Paws, they have some pretty good food at their restaurant. They are from Wheaton, Illinois and they have a pretty good Italian Beef. It is pretty close to that they serve here in the Windy City, though they did have to import their giardiniara from Chicago for the top of the sandwich. Tell them you found out about them from us here on the FM site. Windy

Our party should be 4 people, but could expand to 6. I have found some places and for a 2 bedroom around $600, which is pretty good. I will need a boat and we are looking at the end of May for our trip.

Currently I am leaning towards Cass Lake Lodge but was looking for all the options. Just thought I would get some opinions and maybe find a place that isn't well advertised but a great place to stay.

Thanks for your help.

I find it funny that I am looking for a place to stay in Minnesota and the guys who respond are from Illinois. I currently live in Iowa but grew up in Illinois and most of my party are from the Sterling/Rockfalls area.

Ryan

Ryan,

The guys that are replying from out of state spend as much time here as half of the tourists from Minnesota. The tourists from out of state know how good Cass is and the residents from this great state don't fish this area that much. Which is good and bad, good for the fisheries, bad for the economy... So far all the reply's have been right on... Check with Clark at Horseshoe Resort and with Steve at Break on The Lake. Those are two awesome resorts on the lake. I'm not sure of the cost but they both have excellent cabins and they both rent boats.

Hope this helps... If you have any other questions feel free to call my cell phone...

Beef

Well Ryan, that's better with the details. Just can't tell if you are experienced on the lake or if there is a specific area you want to fish. It's a big lake but all areas are fishable within 30-45 mins depending on HP.

Now, for end of May, I suppose you could do good fishing just about anywhere on Cass. To give you a choice I would go the Cass/Turtle River/Kitchi route so I suggest you check out PikeHole on the River. GREAT Bar and Restaurant and view. If you need firsthand accounts, I'm sure my good buddy MuskyMark will chime in for you. He stays there every yr during our trip in early June. I have stayed there once so I can also recommend it.

We have spent the last 20 yrs down near CLL at BirchVilla on the SW shoreline and there are plenty of spots to try down there, plus the option to maybe go into PikeBay.

No matter where you end up, I know that it is gonna be time soon to get that reservation firmed up - probably Jan 1 at the latest.

Good luck - we want a good report!