Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
walleyedan

Big Buck Disorder

7 posts in this topic

I have to think there are a number of you that can relate. I bounce off the walls when I can't be in the woods during this time of year ("the rut"). Although it may not be the "peak" at the moment, I do know the bucks are sniffing pretty good right now. I saw one on the tail of an unreceptive doe last night. It was a small 6 and we were in our vehicle. But I just wanted to see how many other obsessive big buck, bow hunters can't focus on ANYTHING other than being in the woods right now. I guess I have to wait for tomorrow because of other commitments (what was I thinking making ANY commitments today, it would be an awesome day to be out! Good luck to all of you.

Walleyedan

I understand.I have been hunting for the past 6 weekends and this weekend I will be home.The next 3-4 I will be gone.I dont know what to do as all I think about is I should be there.I guess I could go by myself but I dont really care to.Oh well,they will be there next week and probably a little more crazy.

I definately understand where you are coming from. This site is a good way to get rid of a little built up hunting thoughts.

Yeah, I can definitely related. I'm really struggling today. I committed to a social deal tonight, but I'll be in the woods all day tomorrow. Wish I was out there right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got back from another 3 days of bow hunting. The scrapes are showing up everywhere. I have to work for 3 days before I can get back after them for 4 more days of hunting and it's killing me

Yup. I can't make it out til friday due to work but that's the day. The 3rd of November is the day that myself and many of my buddies have killed our biggest bucks. Sort of superstitious but a great time to be in the woods regardless. The air is getting colder and the deer are getting hotter. I've got the sickness.

I love that Friday too! I'm hoping I can get it done before then, but so far I haven't seen him. Maybe in the morning. I didn't see anything tonight, it was perfectly still and then the front blew in just before dark and the wind was crankin. All I can think about is the big buck that I haven't got a look at yet this season.

Good luck on Friday.

Walleyedan

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• leech~~

Posted

26 minutes ago, DANR said:

From the fall Pelican Lakes Association newsletter - DNR Fisheries Update:

You may have heard about the 454 adult cormorantsthat were removed from Gooseberrry Island this May by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Wildlife Services Unit under a permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.  DNR staff looked at the stomach contents of 30 birds. Eleven of those birds had stomach contents including: 38 perch (mostly 4- inchers), 7 spot-tail shiners, 7 bluegills, 6 crappies, 1 rock bass, 1 pike, and zero walleyes.

Thanks for the Update.  Hopefully they shoot 400 more next spring! :):)

• FishinCT

Posted

They were really slow today. I fished hard all day and didn't manage much. Went over tons of fish and they weren't active at all. Should get better as the weekend gets closer...I hope

• gizmoguy

Posted

Go with steel. Contact Isle supply.

• From the fall Pelican Lakes Association newsletter - DNR Fisheries Update:

You may have heard about the 454 adult cormorantsthat were removed from Gooseberrry Island this May by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Wildlife Services Unit under a permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.  DNR staff looked at the stomach contents of 30 birds. Eleven of those birds had stomach contents including: 38 perch (mostly 4- inchers), 7 spot-tail shiners, 7 bluegills, 6 crappies, 1 rock bass, 1 pike, and zero walleyes. 

• Hello Friends:

Looking for some help as I've been up here since yesterday morning and only two 22" walleyes. I've fished fairly hard (5 or 6 hours) and tried all of my normal spots in Frazer/Smarts/Narrows area using all presentations with minnows and crawlers. Would love to have a walleye dinner (couple of 15's) for my black lab and I tomorrow night and any suggestions would be welcomed.

I'm not looking for spots, but general depth and bait.

Thanks guys

Andy

• delcecchi

Posted

It is great.  I don't know if they are still doing grumpy gary chicken this time of year but it is good.  They have specials on various nights, at least in summer.  

• Sculpin

Posted

Dennis Anderson, Outdoor writer for the Minneapolis Tribune had a nice write up on the duck opener at Pelican. In addition there were some locals quoted on duck hunting there. Sounds like the ducks are back, and they have the water levels well under control.

• Thanks Don! its a good time of year to be on the water!! :)

• SkunkedAgain

Posted

Oh man, I forgot about the South Switch. I haven't been there in close to fifteen years. I doubt that it's changed.....maybe I'll head there tomorrow night!

• Not lately but a buddy got 3 in big fork yesterday... No dog just him walking

• leech~~
      Thanks for the Update.  Hopefully they shoot 400 more next spring!
    • FishinCT
      They were really slow today. I fished hard all day and didn't manage much. Went over tons of fish and they weren't active at all. Should get better as the weekend gets closer...I hope
    • gizmoguy
      Go with steel. Contact Isle supply.
    • DANR
      From the fall Pelican Lakes Association newsletter - DNR Fisheries Update: You may have heard about the 454 adult cormorantsthat were removed from Gooseberrry Island this May by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Wildlife Services Unit under a permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.  DNR staff looked at the stomach contents of 30 birds. Eleven of those birds had stomach contents including: 38 perch (mostly 4- inchers), 7 spot-tail shiners, 7 bluegills, 6 crappies, 1 rock bass, 1 pike, and zero walleyes. 
    • PSU
      Hello Friends: Looking for some help as I've been up here since yesterday morning and only two 22" walleyes. I've fished fairly hard (5 or 6 hours) and tried all of my normal spots in Frazer/Smarts/Narrows area using all presentations with minnows and crawlers. Would love to have a walleye dinner (couple of 15's) for my black lab and I tomorrow night and any suggestions would be welcomed. I'm not looking for spots, but general depth and bait. Thanks guys Andy