• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Snake River Info?

I'm in the process of buying a 3 season place near Grasston and was wondering what info I could get on fishing the Snake River. I'm fairly new to river fishing, and am most interested in the areas from Little Walleye Landing off CR114 downstream to Pokegama, and upstream to Grasston. I'm not asking for hotspots, just a general overview of the area...ie boatable? species present, decent fishing? Any info would be helpful as would links to other info. I have a 14' fishing boat with an old 9.5 Johnson, as well as a canoe, plus access to a 17' Fisher with 70HP Johnson (I know I'd have to launch that at Pokegama), and would love to buy a pontoon. Any info would be appreciated....SnakeRiverKing? T-water?

Greetings Rockingroy-

From Grasston to Little Walleye there are numerous shallow spots. In high summer, doesn't matter what kind of boat you have, you'll have to get out in spots.

From Little Walleye...There is a shallow spot over a sandbar about 1/4 mile down from Little Walleye, other than that it deepens up all the way down to Pokegama.

There is a guy with a pontoon about a mile up from Little Walleye, that is the furthest up I've seen a pontoon parked. Going down river, once you get past that shallow spot I mentioned, you'd be good to go all the way to Pokegama.

If you're new place is closer to Grasston than Little Walleye then, sorry to say, I think you'll be out of luck with a pontoon.

Fishing? Sometimes great, sometimes worthless, same as anywhere. I've been skunked more times than I can count, but I've also had a few 20+ fish days on that stretch of river.

In general you'll want to fish the holes. Fishing gets better as the river gets shallower and the fish concentrate in the holes.

Species: (In order of catch frequency)

Northern (you'll catch these 5:1 to everything else)

Smallies

Red Horse Sucker

Walleye

Sheepshead

Carp

Sunnies

Rockbass

Catfish

Crappies

Lake Sturgeon (I've never caught, but people say there are 5-6 footers in there)

I run a 14 ft jon boat, with a 7.5 horse. Once you get familiar with the river, you can cruise pretty good for some stretches. Even so, you can count on consistantly hitting your prop on rocks. I don't even bother fixing my prop anymore, I run it as is, bent and mangled.

Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you want more info.

Welcome to the area!

Thanks for the info SnakeRiver. I am actually downstream from Little Walleye on Cabin drive, a straight stretch of river with several cabins and a couple year round houses just around the bend from little walleye, I imagine that bend is where the shallow spot you mentioned is so I should be good to go.

My sister lives in that area, not a bad place. My experience is wading only it seems there are a lot of sandbars (shallow) follwed by smaller holes 4-10ft. Not really an area that you could regularly use a motor. I would be nervous about buying any river land without canoeing it late in the season. Maybe you otta throw on some waders and hop in your canoe, it's about as low as it's gonna get right now. See if it's what you want.

The fishing in the river can be absolutely phenomenal, you just have to work harder than most folks are comfortable with. The river changes every few miles, if you buy an area that is primarily sandy you might be bummed.

I've caught 38 inch pike 18 inch smallmouth and plenty of others, it's a great river just investigate it and make sure you'l be cool with fishing out of a canoe or wading much of the year...oh yeah how do you feel about deer fly crazy.gif That's a down side but spend an afternoon in the river while an eagle watches you fish, beautiful tannin colored water, fishing where few ever fish, pretty awesome.

Thanks T-Water. I don't actually have the canoe yet it's coming with the property, and my boat is put up for the year but I'm pretty sure I won't have much trouble from my place to Pokegama, at least with the 14'.

Rockingroy is right on, the deer flies can be insane in July. At some point there is a 2 week stretch when they peak. I've been run off the river in a swearing, flailing panic more than once. Now, when they are that bad I go to a headnet and long sleeves and pants.

When they are not at their peak, wearing a hat, long sleeves and keeping the movement to a minimum is about the best strategy I've come up with.

Every year the mosquitoes get real bad in June, but by the time the deer flies come, I'm wishing they were mosquitoes.

July also seems to be about the best time fishing on the river. But you got to be hardcore to stand the bugs.

Is there any kind of bug spray that helps against the deer flies? Everything else tells me to go ahead with the purchase....If all goes well I will close on January 5.

I think gasoline would help...if you lit it on fire! Seriously I've had little success with anything other than clothes and head nets, they are the worst at dusk, you have to be ready for them, during the day they are more manageable. I've had evenings when I was walking out of the river where I thought I was going insane, they bite so dang hard. Please note I still return every year to fish. I talked to Greg over at Cabelas yesterday, he said he fishes Pokegema for panfish in the winter, decent crappie and sunfish, I've never tried it.

Like the other guys said it is shallow, but I run a 14 jon boat with a 8hp short shaft and I can go enywhere and if it gets to shallow just get out and pull the boat it ant that tough, as for fish goes I have seen 40 inch northerns and a wall mounted largemouth and this summer me and my friends we nailed walleye down there for about a month you could go out and get your limit of walleyes no problem

Thanks for the info guys, I hope to see you all on the river next spring. I'll keep an eye on this post and maybe we can hook up.

I just had the jon boat out yesterday, I was breaking Ice with it I didnt fish though just wanted test out my new aqua vu xl

• 3 months later...

Well we bought our cabin complete with canoe, we also bought a dock so I'm just waiting for spring. Have any of you fished any of the little backwaters for spring panfish? I've noticed from ariel photos that there are several of these between Little Walleye and Pokegama.

Conngrats Roy! I bet you're going to have a ton of good times, I'm jealous. Couldn't tell you about the pannies, I am concerned that with the drought alot of those areas may be bone dry!

yeah I'm a little worried about that too, this is the first time I can remember being happy about a snowstorm since I was a young kid