Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
USPENAMC

what jacket or bibs to buy for real cold weather

13 posts in this topic

Good Morning I would like any inforamtion you might have on what jacket or bibs to get for extremely cold weather something that is water repellent or water proof but overall that blocks the COLD air and is warm.

things to consider:

1) im from south texas and when we got a cold front down there 50 degrees i was wearing sweatshirts and jacket

2) I sit on my stand all day and dont even take a break for lunch so im up in the treestand all day..ive gotten buy being miserably cold but id like to be a bit warmer on my stand.

anything 300 bucks and below would be great but will consider any price range and any info on where i can get them.

they have those new cold weather cocoon looking things that you can sit inside of until you need to shoot. Dont know what it is called, but i have seen commercials for it on a couple hunting shows.

Called "The Heater Body Suit."

If you will not be walking alot you might want to get a pair of down long johns from cabelas amd wear some good wicking long johns under them. Then you can wear almost any thinsulate or holofil bib and you should be toasty.Because I walk about a mile to my stand I carry my bibs and jacket and cool down at my stand before putting them on. That way when the temp drops at sunrise you can sit still and not spook the wildlife around you.Good luck and enjoy yourself.

Layers, Layers, Layers.....and big warm pack boots.

I pile on the long johns, sweatpants, overalls, wool socks, wool sweaters, fleece shirts, mask, warm hat, choppers, and the lacrosse ice kings. When you think you got enough clothes on...put on some more...and also bring some in your back pack incase you need more. Another good thing to bring is those heat packets that you shake up...I just put those in my choppers. Bring along a few candy bars or p&j sandwiches for snacks...gives you energy and keeps you warm. Like my pops always says...you can never have enough clothes on....can always take it off if you're warm. Another tip...wait to put on all your layers until you get in your stand...to avoid sweating. I shot my buck at noon opening day last year...it pays to stay in the stand.

Look at Arctic Shield Products. They have them online and at Cabelas. Nice stuff really nice and warm.

Hand warmers work wonders for more than just the hands....

I have one of those heater body suits and they work pretty darn good. Before I got one of those I just brought up an old sleeping bag into my stand and got into that. The main 2 things are to have warm headgear and warm boots. I also have one of those muffs that you put the heater packets in and then stick you hands into. They work so good that I rarely use my big mittens any more, its just a thin cotten pair that I can shoot with.

I agree with everyone's responses so far. One thing to keep in mind is that most body heat is lost through the head. I would not be afraid to invest in a quality piece that will cover your neck, face and head. Also, A good pair of boots and a good pair of gloves are very important. If you wear all the clothes in the world and let your extremities get cold, you will be sure to have a miserable day on the stand.

I have under armour coldgear that I bought last year for going muzzleloading up at lake of the woods. It is really good stuff. You don't get smoking hot but you never really get cold either. The one day up there it never got above 0 and my body never got really cold. My feet would get cold first and I would end up having to get down and go warm them up for a while. I would definetly suggest getting Under Armour. I would also second the hand muffs with a couple of disposable hand warmers in them. That is what I use and usually only wear a light pair of gloves or no gloves at all.

I will agree with the above posts.I would key on the head,feet and layers of clothes.A few hand warmers wouldnt hurt either.

Also,whatever you do,dont get all sweaty before you crawl into your stand for the day as you could get chilled from that.

A good neck warmer is good to have as well, I started using one a couple years back, that's the way to go.

nothing beats wool over polypropelene...