Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MIKE IN lINO III

New Tires F250

31 posts in this topic

I will be needing to put new tires on the diesel. I'm looking for recommondations.

I use the truck on weekends and it's mostly highway miles. I also need something that it going to be good on the lakes. My factory tires seem to get me stuck quite a bit on the ice.

Any ideas?

Mike

I had bridgestone dueler A/T's on my grand cherokee and they seemed to do pretty good on the lakes.

I put on Bridgstone destenation A/T on my F250 last year and they worked way beter than the stock tires, I also jumped up two sizes from stock.They are heavy on the tread side but no road hum.

Depending on how much and how often you haul things, you better make sure to check the load rating on your next set of tires. I've had good luck with Dueler A/Ts on my 1/2 ton rigs, but with my Chev 2500HD CC I went with Firestone Steeltex and have been very happy with them. I've got about 45K miles on them right now, and I'm sure I can get at least another 15-20K out of them.

Steeltex are now extinct... Firestone came out with Transforce to replace them. They have both a highway tread and an A/T. They're spendy though. I'm putting new tires on my f250 next week. Firestone can put on 4 new Bridgestone Revo's in a 265-70r17 for $653.00, in and out. I've had the Revo's before. Good tires, awesome traction on the lake and field, and quiet smooth ride. I'd say I got around 50-55,000 miles on them when they needed to be replaced.

I have BF Goodrich on my truck now from the factory... the S-lug style... great wearing (77,000 miles) but terrible traction in mud and snow. If you're solely looking for wear, these would be a good tire, but they are terrible once you leave the pavement.

Good Luck!

Ken

I was looking on the internet this morning for new truck tires. Go onto the Discount Tire web site. You can search for tires there and read feedbacks from buyers on all the tires available for your truck. I noticed the Goodyear "Triple tread" and Goodyear "Silent Armor" tires got very high ratings.

I second Discount Tire. I got a set of Goodyears there this summer at a very good price. Since I was the only one there at that time, 4:00 pm, 5 guys jumped on it and had me out the door in 20 minutes.

I should add that it was the store in Coon Rapids.

I also have to recommend Discount tire for buying.

The Wrangler Silent armor tires do come in a "E" range tire for towing heavy loads and they are cheaper than the Revo's which is the other choice I would suggest.

Discount tire has been great, I've boughten 5 sets of tires there in the last two years. I have an F-350 diesel and just put the Michelin LTXs on both trucks and have been very happy. The ride compared to the factory Bridgstones was very noticable.

BF Goodrich All Terain TA KOs seem to have an aggressive tread pattern but are not that noisy on the road ...I have read good reviews on them but have only had them on my truck for a few weeks now ,,I dont think I will be dissapointed this winter

Randoid

I put Michelin LTX AT on my truck and the tread life is just incredible. I'll have to replace these tires due to dry rot before the tread wears out. I'm dead serious that I have forgotten exactly how many miles are on these tires but I'd bet it's at least 60-70K and there is still lots of tread left - at least 1/3, if not more. This is on a 1994 Chev K-1500 extended cab.

Labs,

What dealer are you going thru? Are you getting that price based on the volume of business you do with them? That seems like a good price. The wife says I need new tires, tired of getting stuck on URL. shocked.gif

Mike

Nope, just stopped in at Firestone on Robert Street in West St. Paul. We used to get a great volume discount at Ford, but they no longer carry Firestone or Uniroyal. I refuse to buy Goodyear or BF Goodrich. I've had the Revo's on Red before... you'll love them!

Good Luck!

Ken

Thanks Labs,

I bought tires from those guys before.

Poke Blackshak in the eye for me.

Mike

Be careful when comparing owner satisfaction of regular c rated tires for half tons when you’re looking for E rated tires for 3/4 tons.

I have found tires that I really like for my half ton suburban so I buy the same tire for my 3/4 ton suburban in the higher D and E rating and have been really disappointed in the traction on ice and snow. A tire dealer told me that many manufacturers may use a different grade of rubber in addition to more plies of rubber when upping the tire rating. I can't verify that but it would make sense with the traction difference I have noticed on the same tires with different ratings.

Base your decision on recommendations that people have had success with on E rated tires. Unfortunately, I don't have a good one.

E-ratings will have more plies. This is how they get teh extra load strength. Different compounds that are harder or softer usually pertain more to the longevity of the tire, especially if they offer a treadlife guarentee.

Quote:

Be careful when comparing owner satisfaction of regular c rated tires for half tons when you’re looking for E rated tires for 3/4 tons.

I have found tires that I really like for my half ton suburban so I buy the same tire for my 3/4 ton suburban in the higher D and E rating and have been really disappointed in the traction on ice and snow. A tire dealer told me that many manufacturers may use a different grade of rubber in addition to more plies of rubber when upping the tire rating. I can't verify that but it would make sense with the traction difference I have noticed on the same tires with different ratings.

Base your decision on recommendations that people have had success with on E rated tires. Unfortunately, I don't have a good one.

Yes, the Michelins I have are C rated.

BTW - The tread depth is 9/32nds, not sure they will wear out before the truck falls apart. crazy.gif

I've had Dunlop Rovers, Wranglers, Dueler Revos, and BFG AT KOs. The KOs are good but the Revos are better.

Revos

Powerstroke,

Help me out. Your post contridicts what I have experienced with a couple brands of tires and what my tire dealer has told me.

I had a set of tires I liked on my half ton. (toyo open country A/T's I believe) So, I bought the same tires for my 3/4 ton. The only difference was the rating from a c to an e. I assumed, as you stated, that the only difference would be the number of plies. But, I had much worse traction on snow and ice than with the c rated tires. I even tried playing with the pressure to see if that was the cause.

For my next set of tires I did some research and saw good reviews for the revo's so I went to a tire dealer and asked about them for my 3/4 ton. A summary of his comments were that those are great half ton tires but that I would not be happy with that tire in an e rating because many manufacturers use a different compound, a harder rubber, on their heavy duty e rated tires and his experience had been that his customers were not happy with that particular tire on the snow and ice in the e rating like they are in the c rating.

This comment also explained why I had just experienced poor results on my last set of e rated tires when I had really liked the c rated version.

What I'm wondering from you is what manufacturers that you are referring to that you know for a fact do not use a different compound for their e rated tires than on their c rated tires. I'm always open to a better tire for my 3/4 ton. This summer I just put on a set of Bridgestones which I've liked on the highway but time will tell in the winter.

Thanks for your help,

ccarlson

A couple of years ago I needed tires for my 1/2 ton Suburban. I wanted the Michelin LTX M/S in P size but they didn't have them instock but did have the LT size tires and sold them to me for the same price. Anyhow, these tires are load range E and more at home on a 3/4 ton than a 1/2 ton and have performed extreemly well for me - summer and winter, towing the boat or ice fishing. Great tires and would probably work well on your F250 unless you're looking for an AT or offroad tread.

10 plys (Load Range E) will always last longer but typically are a harder tire. Being harder they will have less than traction on ice. With a Diesel you should have 10 plys. What I do on my duramax I usually drop they tire pressure for the winter months this will help with traction on ice. I have had great luck with BF goodrich KO on my 3/4 ton. But I did switch brands this year mainly because I didn't have a BF dealer in my area. I usally wear a set of tires out in a year with the miles I put on so I figured if I don't like them I should only have to live with them for one year. I decided to go with Cooper Discover STT. They are bad a$$ looking and the tread should blow through the snow and mud. I will be interested in see how they wear and perform on the ice. But these are the only Coopers I would put on my rig. The Discover AT are junk we have had these on several of our work truck and they aren't well thought of lots of shoveling required in the winter frown.gif.

I can get a pretty good deal on Copper Discover ATR's, anybody have any thoughts on these tires?

Mike

Mike, which size are you getting ? And what's the good price ?

I am "hijacking" your post also, since I am in the market for new tires for my Dodge 2500, I want 285/75/16s, maybe if we have a "bulk" buy we get a better discount....

Looks like they are a pretty decent tire. More highway geared tire than an AT, but they are weather rated so they should still be decent in the snow. If they are a good price I would probably go for it. Make sure they are rated to your F250.

OK, I'm about ready to pull the trigger on buying new tires and after doing alot of research I am more confused. I called Firestone and was quoted $871 for the revo's. Dicount tire had some Pirelli's for $738 and I could get the BF Goodrich A/T's for $819.

After looking at the reviews on the net all brands have mixed reviews.

I use my truck only to go to the lake and some winter driving.

I need some FM support on this issue.

What do you guys have on your 3/4 tons? Are they good in the snow/rain? Did you get a decent deal on them? From where?

Thanks,

Mike