• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fall Turkey Hunt - '06 Results

HateHumminbird

How is everyone doing out there? There's quite a few birds, and with corn mostly out, I'm sure we'll be seeing some bigger flocks in the stubble sooner than later.

Anyone take a bird yet?

Joel

One bird for two of us. No shortage of birds though. We saw and heard many birds, but the majority were intent on staying on the neighboring property. I usually don't use decoys or call very much in the fall, but on the fourth day I finally broke out two hen decoys and did some clucks and purrs and this jake showed up. Maybe just a coincidence, but I'll take it.

ron2ka3.jpg

I have been out once. Attempted to set up on a travel route in the bottom of a huge draw with my bow. Had a group of gobblers get spooked by something while they were on their way and ended up running by me at about 10 yards. With a shotgun it would have been a done deal no problem, but I need one to stand still for the Archery gear to be effective.

I was using a bow this year as well. It was my first archery attempt at turkeys. It definitely adds another magnitude of complexity. Just getting the bow drawn back is an accomplishment. Especially now that my joints make more noise than the bow. grin.gif

I have harvested multiple turkeys with my bow. The best bit of advice I can give is that a ground blind is worth its weight in gold. I hunt out of a double bull archery blind. Those little buggers have such an amazing sence of sight! They will pick out even the slightest bit of movement from a hunter. You can get away with a lot more movement as far as positioning yourself and drawing your bow in a ground blind. Also, when turkey hunting, I have found that you don't have to be as concerned about brushing in your blind as you do when deer hunting.

I've always considered using a pop up blind, but have never tried one. I hesitate because of my size (6'11" and about 360lbs). What type of seat do you use inside the blind to keep you at the right height and allow you to shift around as needed? I know I was busted by a Tom the first time I attempted to draw. I was just lucky this youngster had to travel behind some really thick brush that gave me a chance to draw before he popped out.

Nice job Grey!

Have some pics coming of an acquaintance that took a good tom out of a Double-Bull as well. Almost impossible to draw on the things within bow-range without it.

Let's hear some more stories!

Joel

Thanks Joel.

Sounds like I need to invest in a Double-Bull before the Spring hunt.

I just have a little camo fold out chair that has a strap that can be thrown over my shoulder for the hike in. If you really want to be comfy, any of the new style fold out lawn chairs on the market are great. I think they even make them in camo! The only drawback to these is they are kinda bulky and it can be difficult to move around in the blind with them.

Another tip, when you are in the blind, be sure to wear somthing dark colored. The dark shadows in the blind are what prevent the animals from seeing you inside, but if you wear something light colored, you stick out against the dark background of the blind.

Good Luck!!

Thanks for the advice guys! I'm always looking for new techniques.

Joel, I sent you an e-mail. Let me know if you don't get it.

Headed out turkey hunting this afternoon. Also going to walk a few pheasant fields if time permits. Will post results when I have them.

Was out tonight and after scouting a new area, decided on a likely spot for an evening sit with the archery gear hoping for a big gobbler. Had about 100 hens show up and roost nearby. Some even ended up in the tree I was sitting under. No gobblers though. Another day... I know they are around.

First time I joined the "no go" group for MN turkey hunting. It does bother me when people apply, win, and then do not go - but

Prairie chickens took priority. Did not even buy my MN tags frown.gif

Had two adult hens with both clutches of poults walk under the deer stand today. No toms/jakes.

Much less wary when you're up in a tree.

Joel

We went two for three on our first day of hunting in Minnesota. On Friday in the first season we watched 12 nice toms for over an hour and a half before they came into range. Three of us in a double bull blind - we managed to kill two birds. My bird had a 9 3/4" beard and 1 1/8 spurs. He went to the taxidermist. My brother in law's bird had a 6" beard and 1/2" spurs. My brother (cornpiratekiller) was also in the blind, but his bird ran away after he rolled it over - three times. After that we decided to be happy with 2 birds and we spent the rest of the weekend goose hunting.

Cornpiratekiller and I also hunted Merriams in Wyoming the first week of October - combined with an antelope hunt. I ended up taking a nice little hen after chasing them for a while. I killed a big tom out there last year, so I was just happy to fill my tag this year.

Very cool. Sounds like you guys had a great hunt!

Saw 19 in the driveway this morning. They taunt me, knowing I have no fall turkey tag in possession. The last 7 were gobblers.

Crap.

Joel

Had ten or so walk under me last night while deer hunting, it's never that easy when I'm holding a shotgun.

Scott:

Try and spot the blind tonight from the road. I'll be in it.

Joel

Congrats to those of you who've killed birds! I have a pair of dandy longbeards hanging around my hunting area and have seen them twice while bowhunting but out of range. I still don't know what I'll do if one comes in range cuz I'm struggling bad to kill an antlerless deer to get an EAB tag. I think I'll shoot first an ask questions later - would be my first bow turkey kill. Have a real good feeling I'll at least see them tomorrow cuz its supposed to be lots of wind out of the west and the ground blind I'm bowhunting out of is sheltered nicely from the wind there. Later.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I did get a longbeard with bow from that blind, must have been Nov 7th. I smacked him hard, he went airborne with the arrow in him, I said some naughty words thinking I was gonna have to spend the rest of my 'deer hunting' morning looking for him when he ran out of gas and returned to earth within sight. Nice bird, 20lb and 10.5 beard, he was the boss of a group of 6 guys and was being a bully so I picked on him! Saw the other five 3 days later and they were getting along much better then grin.gif Oh yeah, my first with a bow! And I shot a doe with the bow that evening from the same blind - I was very short on arrows in the quiver at the end of the day, don't ask why smirk.gif

Cooter, we've all had those days, where the walk back is lighter than the walk in, simply on account of no arrows. The difference is that you doubled-up on a nice bird and a nice deer!

Hunting those birds like deer in the fall is a dynamite tactic. Glad to hear you got one, and congrats on your bird with a bow. The ultimate challenge.

Joel