Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ely Lake Expert

Question about a dogs first time in heat?

13 posts in this topic

My GSP pup now about 11 months old went into heat during the last month. We have kept a good eye on her. She hasn't left my side when she is with me and my parents say she is always near them when I leave her with them. My concern is that her nipples have gotten a bit bigger and look almost a bit swollen. Is this normal with going into heat or do you think she somehow snuck away and got pregnant? She really doesn't get out of sight,I sure hope she is not pregnant. frown.gif

It's normal. Also you'll find her vulva will be enlarged and probably bleeding from time to time. In a couple weeks things will start to return to normal.

Well that makes me feel better. Also you are right about the blood, I have been wiping some off the floor for the last couple of weeks, but it seemed to stop now.

My brittany jumped on the lap of a buddy and bled on his shirt. He noticed it later and wondered how blood got there. He checked his fingers for cuts and was dumbfounded on how blood got on his shirt. He is still mad at me for this. The bleeding didn't last long.

Buy some childrens "pull-ups". Cut a hole in the back for a tail and stick em on your dog while she is in the house. Works like a charm. Kinda silly looking but you have zero blood to clean up. Just gotta get the dog used to wearing them and your set.

It's not over yet. Usually the first couple weeks after the bleeding stops is the time to really keep your eyes on her, and the sneaky neighbor dog.

I like the pull-ups idea, but I doubt my dog would put up with that for too long. She'd have it torn to shreds in short order.

They have doggie diapers too. They have replaceable absorbant pads you put in the diaper. It works but it is a pain in the keister.

I thought there was no way either of my girls would put up with a "pull-up". I just got after them for the first night they had them on around the house. Both girls now keep them on in the house accept when they are crated. If I were to leave it on while they are in the crate there is zero chance the "pull-up" WILL NOT get shredded.

Quote:

My GSP pup now about 11 months old went into heat during the last month. We have kept a good eye on her. She hasn't left my side when she is with me and my parents say she is always near them when I leave her with them. My concern is that her nipples have gotten a bit bigger and look almost a bit swollen. Is this normal with going into heat or do you think she somehow snuck away and got pregnant? She really doesn't get out of sight,I sure hope she is not pregnant.
frown.gif

Hey Ryan she was alone with Buddy for awhile the first weekend...

But they usually cant get pregnant until 11 to 15 days after the bleeding starts.

If she is pregant I am charging you a stud fee laugh.gif

Quote:

Quote:

My GSP pup now about 11 months old went into heat during the last month. We have kept a good eye on her. She hasn't left my side when she is with me and my parents say she is always near them when I leave her with them. My concern is that her nipples have gotten a bit bigger and look almost a bit swollen. Is this normal with going into heat or do you think she somehow snuck away and got pregnant? She really doesn't get out of sight,I sure hope she is not pregnant.
frown.gif

Hey Ryan she was alone with Buddy for awhile the first weekend...

But they usually cant get pregnant until 11 to 15 days after the bleeding starts.

If she is pregant I am charging you a stud fee laugh.gif

NOT FUNNY mad.gif, but that would be an interesting mix. 1/2 GSP 1/2 English setter.

YAY,

Vet says my dogs is not prenant. PHEW

She sure fooled alot of people though

Quote:

NOT FUNNY
mad.gif
, but that would be an interesting mix. 1/2 GSP 1/2 English setter.

Hmm, what would you call that mix?

a) English Shorthaired Pointer

B) German Setter

c) Germlish Shpointer (say it out loud with German accent!)

d) GESSP acronym

grin.gif

Quote:

Quote:

NOT FUNNY
mad.gif
, but that would be an interesting mix. 1/2 GSP 1/2 English setter.

Hmm, what would you call that mix?

a) English Shorthaired Pointer

B) German Setter

c) Germlish Shpointer (say it out loud with German accent!)

d) GESSP acronym

grin.gif

Germlish schpointer (with the accent) now that is funny. Thanks for the laugh