Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
David Frank

Bleeding Eye

David Frank

Any idea what may have caused this? Both eyes were bleeding like this when he came out of a slough. This is the first time I have seen it.

279517295_4ad191ddd6_o.jpg

Thanks

kingr

The cattails or the saw grass got him. It happens to our dogs when we go to ND for late pheasant season and hunt the cattails. Flush his eyes to keep the swelling down and lessen the irritation. At least his eye ducts weren't full of catttail fuzz. Labs are tough and loyal dogs!!

David Frank

There is no doubt about his loyalty. He never slowed a step. Didn't even notice the bleeding until he came out of the slough bottom at the end of the walk. Didn't seem to bother him even a little bit.

JPowell

A vet told me yesterday that she has treated 3 labs in the last week. she said that the drive in labs are so dang hig that they will run through a brick wall for you. she treated them with drops but said that it will heal on it's own to.

JP

David Frank

Thank you for the responses. We have been rinsing his eyes as suggested. They were forming a fair amount of puss, but the rinsing seems to be taking care of it.

xedge2002

My buddies dog is in the same boat. Doesn't quite have the bleeding like yours does but his eyes look like they hurt like h*ll. The vet told him as long as he isn't whining or trying to rub them a lot it should be ok. Just needs to get the skin around the eyes to toughen up a little. It still looks like it would be painful though. That is one thing you can't deny about labs, they will do anything to get the birds up for you.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• EyeChsr
      was out tonight, 6-8 in out from the dnr landing. wheelers and a couple perms out. still open water out in front of Peters resort on the south shore. It starts out a couple hundred yards from shore and runs to the north- northwest for a long ways. some of the spots that were open earlier this week have skimmed, be careful out there if you see different looking ice stop and check!!
    • JIvers
      Thanks for the report--about what I figured, which is why I stayed down here in Iowa this weekend. I am fairly optimistic about getting on the ice in southeast or south central Minnesota next weekend; whether I am on a lake around Faribault or Waseca, or one of my old backwater haunts on the Mississippi remains to be seen. Maybe Clear Lake, Iowa. Whatever I do I will post my results.
    • JerkinLips
      9-11am was best time both days.
    • littlebear
      If you are willing to go a little further into Canada, I would recommend Hollinshead Resort, a few hours north of Thunder Bay.  The resort is the only one on the lake, and in June offers excellent Walleye Fishing, as well as some dandy Northern Pike.  It's somewhere you can drive to as well. 
    • monstermoose78
      Caught 20-23 gills and 6 crappies. Fun day on the 10 inches of ice. The whole lake was close to the same where I cut all the holes out and around
    • Wanderer
      I’m still seeing very random thicknesses all over.  In the past few days I’ve been from St. Cloud to Winnie and have seen vehicles on the ice and open water on the same lake. I’m in Little Falls.  Tonight I checked 2 lakes NW of town.  Both had people fishing.  One looked to be safe for wheeler travel and the other, very near it, still had an open lead and you could see the difference between the first sheet of ice and the second. I hope it doesn’t get covered with snow anytime soon so we can still tell where the changes are. Be safe. Bring floatation and picks.  And don’t drive yet! Ruh ro....
    • Bigfatbert
        Nice fish , great pics ,, what times of the day were best for you ?        
    • KidMoe
      I was on a small north metro lake today and found between 2.5 and 4 inches. One of the spud bar holes I punched started spewing water up so definitely needs a little more time. 
    • trebormorgan
      I was out on Round Lake last night (12/9/17) for the first time of the year. I was very surprised to see 12 inches of ice. I checked a few other holes and found anywhere from 11-12 inches. Keep in mind, I was about 300 yds out from the southeast shoreline. I’m not sure if it’s consistent across the middle of the lake. I only saw one group with a snowmobile. All other groups walked out, at least where was.  Anyone have any reports for ice thickness on other lakes in the area?
    • Billy G
      Alot of open water pockets on bigger lakes still, some people out on cannon on 3 inches about 60 yards or less from shore.