Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Burchoid

River on 10/24

9 posts in this topic

Fished the river on 10/24, no live bait though, plastics only.

I focused most my efforts between 20'-30'.

Hit just north of the kini where it drops, no dice.

Fished the shelf in front of the bluffs launch with a couple nibbles but no fish.

Fished the sharp cut almost across the river from the bluffs launch and found some interesting structure and marked some fish, but they wouldn't take my plastic presentation. I did manage to hook up with a dandy crappie, almost 14".

Am I fishing in the right spots with the wrong presentation? Or just plain fishing the wrong spots...

What should a guy look for in general this time of year when trying to locate fish? Sand? Rocks? Flats? Drops? Points? etc.

Since this board has private messages disabled, and not everyone likes to share info with the whole world, feel free to drop me an email at burchoid@gmail.com.

If you ever see a 17' off-white tracker with a 60 horse johnson and a dude with a funky red winter hat (the kind with the little puff-ball at the top), say hi.

Thanks y'all.

When the water is below 40 degrees on the Sippi, I will confidently leave the minnows at home. But on the Croix you do need to have a scoop or two of minnows to be successful on most days. PLastics work well, but on the St. Croix River I always have both! However in the winter for ice fishing, when the crew catches crappie, I routinely catch very nice walleye and sauger without bait, but that's ice fishing..and much colder water.

In other words you needed to stop at the bait shop today.

Turk

The word on the river is the buffs not as hot as couple days earlier, just a couple eyes early for the box, black bass bar active and full of tails in the livewell in a few hours, pink jig and fatheads were the ticket south corner 20 to 30. Thanks for the phone call Jim looking forward to saturday! grin.gif

Thanks for the tip walli, I know the spot well! I'll be sure to clean that place out for you on my guide trips later today and on friday.

Keep Catchin'

Turk

Walli, you're the best!!! Thanks for the tip - if my more-northern spots don't pan out, I'll be heading down to Black Bass to give it try... Hit that location a few times this summer with very limited success - is that mostly an early spring/fall spot?

Where is black bass, I was thinkin of heading on the river this weekend. Walli, maybe I'll se you down there.

Sandman,

you got mail

get a HotSpot map of the Croix... all these 'landmarks' are clearly marked and there's great commentary as well on fishing spots and techniques.

Yeah Turk, your funny. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif like you need a spot to fish when there's like 12 that are going right now and I'm sure your on them anyways wink.gif sure wish i could get out during the week, God has just blessed you with a better job then mine but I'll be on the river saturday and sunday morning like always. Sunday I was thinking of launching out of beanies, instead of going on the 17 mile boat ride to get up in that area, I'll have to see! I rarely fish above the kinni but I was thinking of checking out some new scenery on saturday and sunday if nothing much is going on in the other areas I fish, time well tell! grin.gif