Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
walleye vision

Best way to Aberdeen

9 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this. Going to hunt SD (aberdeen area) this weekend and was wondering if anyone had advice on what route to take from Blaine? Any help would be awesome. I was thinking maybe 94 to Alex then cross over? I dunno, seems like there may be a better way...just wish i didn't have to deal with the stupid twin cities.

Thanks,

WV

I live in Aberdeen and have taken a few different trips to the cities myself. If Mapquest is correct, you are located just north of the cities. I don't know what the driving situation is up there, but the quickest route from the cities to Aberdeen is to take Hwy 7 west from the cities to Montevideo. From there head NW on Hwy 57 to Appleton and get on Hwy 7 heading west. Follow that until Hwy 12 heading West. This will take you right into Aberdeen. I know this probably doesn't solve your problem about not wanting to deal with the Cities, but hopefully it helps somewhat.

Maybe Tyler Holm has some input, As he used to live in Aberdeen as well.

To get to Aberdeen, take 94 to 23 at St Cloud. Go west on 23 to New London and go west on 9. When you get to Benson get on 12 and go west to Aberdeen. Took it there and back last weekend.

c

I think Dave and Bufalo gave some good info. I've got nothing to add except...

Maybe once you get into the state (if its after 12 and before sundown) try taking some backroads and give that SoDak road hunting a go.

I like David's route...Highway 7 is by far the best among Highway 7, Highway 12, and Highway 212.

But when you get to Montevideo, take 212 west into SD, then SD 15 up to Milbank, then 12 west to Aberdeen.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it. I'll gun a rooster for ya.

WV

Where will you be hunting around Abedeen?

Hi David, my dad used to take the family out there years ago and we'd stay at a campground thatwas next to a lake. we had alot of good hunting back then and I'd like to take my gal out there and do some hunting and hang by the campfire weather permitting. would you have any idea what lake/camp area I'm talking about blush.gif thanks in advance for any info.

There are many lakes in the area ( within an hour and a half). I have personally camped at a couple of them. The closest lake to Aberdeen with a campground is Wiley Park. This is a small lake with a park and small amusement park around for the kids. Lots of fun if you don't want to get out in the booneys and rough it too much with the lady! Another close option I have camped at is Richmond Lake. Nice campground only about 12-15 miles NW of Aberdeen. If you want to be farther NW in the state, Try Roy Lake Resort. Roy has a couple of very nice campgrounds with many hunting opportunities close.

If none of these options work for you, check out the South Dakota Game Fish and Parks website. They have a list of all state campgrounds that may be mighty helpful to you. Phone numbers of each campground are listed, along with pricing information.

Hope this helps!