• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

300 RUM

WalleyeGod

Anyone reloading a 300 RUM using 180 gr. Nosler Accubond? If so how does it group for you at 200 yds? Just curious as I haven't had a chance to shoot mine at that range yet, hopefully tomorrow. Presuming your 100 yd. group is satisfactory.

WG

What the heck are you hunting with that cannon anyways? grin.gif Sorry, I can't help with the reloading question but sounds like one heck of a round with that Nosler!

Elk. Although I take it prairie doggin' too just for kicks. I shoot the smaller 165 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip on those. I did get out with it at noon and with the load I had tweaked ended up with a 1/2 inch three shot group at 100 yds. I was still tweaking with another load and didn't have enough rounds to try at 200 but feel confindent that it will do much better than my old load using a partition which never did shoot for me that well. Will reload and try the 200 yard target tomorrow however. By the way I know that my ole' 30-06 was just fine for elk, but the wife only knows that you need a different gun for elk called an elk rifle. The 30-06 is a deer rifle, right......

grin.gifgrin.gif

Well it sounds like you have no excuses for a miss - where are you going for elk? You should be ashamed of yourself for misleading your wife like that wink.gif

lol,

Im going elk hunting this fall for the first time, so this past june i upgraded to a (elk rifle) ,(from a 30-06) told my wife the same story.

After alot of ballistics comparison i too bought a 300 ultramag, finally shot it 3 weeks ago, and i really like the gun and round. havent shot beyond 100 yards yet but am dialed in 1" high a 100.

Im shooting factory loads, remington, swift scirooco 180 gr. accubonds

Was to the range at noon. Got in my 200yd shooting and it printed a 1 and a half inch group. I also set up the chrono and it has a 32 fps spread with an average velocity of 3,350 fps. Looks like I found my load. Now I have my ballistic table to make up and will be set for CO. I am thinking of going antelope hunting next fall, believe you need an antelope rifle to hunt those...What do you guys think would be a good antelope gun? Besides a .243 which is my coyote rifle. grin.gif

Here is the pic of the target. I was off a bit when eyeballing the group size. I took the caliper to it when I got home. It wasn't 1.5 inches it was 1.613 inches. Sorry for being off so much. grin.gif

th_100_0320.jpg

WG

I don't know about an antelope rifle but I have a .270 and it makes a good gun for hunting wild boar. Just thought I would give you another hunting trip idea for another gun. grin.gif

Quote:

By the way I know that my ole' 30-06 was just fine for elk, but the wife only knows that you need a different gun for elk called an elk rifle. The 30-06 is a deer rifle, right......

grin.gifgrin.gif

WalleyeGod, Your wife asked me to post for her after she read this. She said to start looking for a raccoon rifle as you will be sleeping in the doghouse. grin.gif

Boar hunting, sounds like a great idea. I might have to plan one of those. I don't have a boar hunting gun. Thanks X.

McGurk,

Dog house, my home away from home. It would only be lacking the obvious as it is heated, has my reloading bench, tv, fishing and hunting stuff, oh and did I mention a fridge. Believe me, I am used to being out there, albeit sometimes not by choice.

Coons, yeh, that is what has been making those noises at night. It makes sense now. Suppose you need a coon hunting gun to shoot those?

you guys have it all wrong. Buy a huge gun cabinet all in the name of safety for the kids and fill it with all stainless/synthetic rifles that she can't tell apart. and if she ever asks about one, just say "that old thing? I might get a new scope for it and use it a few more years"

Why no use your .30RUM. You seem to shoot it well. If you want a lighter gun use a lighter gun. The cal. has little to do with it. Just use the right bullet for the job. Myself, I use a .25cal, 3/4" at 100yd. It will put a 120gr through a deer, front to back. That is all I need to make go flop. What ever it is.

Cat:

I don't want all my guns in one spot, ie. gun cabinet so she doesn't get to see ALL of them together. She used to be an accountant and definately would know if there is one more in the cabinet. But, I like your train of thought.

Whatever works good for you in adding to the collection. Actually, she knows I am kind of a gun pig so I don't pull the wool over her eyes much. But you have to play the game sometimes. grin.gif Our daughter is deer hunting for the first time this year, just another great opportunity .......

WG, looks like a good group to me.

I am loading the same 180 gr in my 300 Win Mag, this was a 150 yard zero. You will like the way the round performs.

IMG_2355.jpg

LTH:

I had some fair groups using Reloader 22, maybe 5/8 inch at a 100 yds, but ended up with the group you see above using Retumbo. I am planning on working up some RL22 recipes for my 300WM as well to see how it performs. Nice group by the way. I just love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.

WG

Oh, by the way LTH, did you get a measure on that group. Looks like .80 ,maybe better ? I had about that going until my last shot which went a little left and low. I also wasn't shooting in the most ideal conditions. Wind 10-15 mph from left to right. Not too bad considering that.