Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tyler Holm

Iced

17 posts in this topic

For the past few mornings, I’ve notice a thin layer of ice over a couple potholes in the Rochester area. These potholes were home to some local geese during the summer months and are decent sized bodies of water.

Man I can’t wait to be standing on that stuff. Last weekend I went to Alma fishing (Report) and had the opportunity drive the new truck over some frozen puddles. It handles ice like a dream.

Gots me a new MarCum LX-5 on the way. Picked up 5 new St. Croix Legend ice rods (looking for reels yet). Ordered a Stone Legacy Revolution rod bag (still on special this week). As RugbyGuy said, “I feel bad for the fish!”

Call me crazy, but then again… Read my signature!

stop all this ice talk i like the open water ice is for people who don't have A.D.D.

ike

Well, well.

I'm not going to let this thread die that easily. With the past few days of chill, the pond referenced above was ice over again this morning. There was a small section still open that the fowl were using.

BRING IT ON!

the sooner the better!

i will bust ice 4" thick to get the boat out!!!!Stop this talk of ice. it is naughty. ike

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Atta-Boy Randy.

It's suppose to get cold next week Wednesday (low of 9 degrees). I'm thinking we'll be able to fish by the 2nd weekend of Dec. I'd like to even make a few venturous treks before that.

count me in! grin.gif

Quote:

count me in!

Me II

It's looking pretty good for you guys after the 28th of November. Seasonably cold air will be settling in...for a change, and single digit lows by the 1st of December.

You guys will have to let me know when you'll be rolling out to Foster-Arend on a Saturday. I'd like to see how well those fancypants Marcums work...and maybe get a trout or two for dinner. smile.gif

Bring on the ICE!!!!! cool.gif

Quote:

I'd like to see how well those fancypants Marcums work

randy, my experience with trout and flashers is that they are useless. the trout are usually in and out before their is even a mark on the flasher. maybe you guys have better techniques, or maybe those marcums really are better than the old vex? wink.gif

btw, those trout from fosters are tasty grin.gif catch one for me...

That's good to know. I haven't been ice fishing in many years, so I'm hoping to get out a few times this winter.

Any preferred ice fly patterns, JP?

probably a waxie or wiggler pattern. I know I saw a waxie pattern on the fly tying forum. Often times when I'm sight fishing trout through the ice, they often come in and taste my lure. I've had the best luck catching them in the winter using live bait, e.g. wax worms, wigglers, maggots/euro larvae. Minnows are the rule at fosters. Plastics are doable, but when the bite is finicky, as it often is, nothing replaces the taste of live bait. I wish I could say that I catch them on flies, but then I'd be lying crazy.gif I am in the harvest mode when ice fishing stocked ponds for trout, so I go to what works, live bait.

yummy! trout with some venison steaks and morel mushrooms

even better that a waxie or minnow at fosters is the powerbait nuggets, orange,pink,green, hooked 6" below a splitshot and sent to the bottom wink.gif

It's not A.D.D, just a lack of a b.o.a.t! The lack of softball, golf and yard work also helps out for more time in the winter.